NSW RFS PMR (non GRN): P25 phase 1 or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitmorechoke

Awesome, thanks hhca.

Do any of you blokes know if a Unication G5 would do what I want? I'm not really wanting to scan the airwaves in general, I'm happy to program the channels I need but it would be handy to monitor multiple channels/agencies when things are happening. I've been looking at the SDS100 but the G5 looks like a much better unit for use in the field.

Australia4001

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thanks hhca.

Do any of you blokes know if a Unication G5 would do what I want? I'm not really wanting to scan the airwaves in general, I'm happy to program the channels I need but it would be handy to monitor multiple channels/agencies when things are happening. I've been looking at the SDS100 but the G5 looks like a much better unit for use in the field.
If going to be mainly monitoring the grn , and you have good reception / for control channel, a uniden 436 or 325 would be more suitable, they are phase 2 scanner , if you are in a weak reception area , the G2 or 3 , what everyone does your correct band , will pull signals in better then the unidens , they vary in price quite a bit as you know .

Last edited:

bitmorechoke

Thanks guys, I think I'm set on a Unication G3 - it's not cheap, but it's small and rugged and does all the frequencies I want. Might be time for an early Christmas present to myself... :p

tsunami_australia

Premium Subscriber
The timeframe I was notified of for the phase2 switchover was 24-36 months (though that was 6 months ago). Given the expansion is still rolling along with radio replacements I'd be booking on around 24months (we don't have all the towers in here yet - Mid North Coast NSW). I've also been told that the controllers will remain P1 with only the voice channels going P2 for quite some time so that will create some interesting results.

Given how the south coast fires proved how crap the system is when things go wrong I'd have MUCH preferred they left it in the city where it's usefullness is.

I have a cheapie RT2832U hooked to an old laptop here running software that trunktracks P2, decodes to audio then sends back out via whichever program (Zello is working best atm since Discord changed something and now it's garbled when using it). This means I can load Zello on my phone to listen to it anywhere I can get mobile reception or WiFi.

In our cars I'll eventually have to upgrade my 996T to a P25 scanner of the same physical size and put a second of it in the mrs car (I like the 996P2's appearance but they're rare now).

Until you change to the GRN it won't be phase 2 you're using. Phase2 needs the repeater setup to be doing the timing amongst other things, is significantly extra cost and not warranted. So the best way I've found to find repeaters is to get my RTL which runs on the tv antenna and load SDR sharp on around 419 meg then watch for the peaks. Tune into them, find the ones with data noise and load DSD to see what it says about them. If it says it's a trunk channel I'll then close all the above and load UniTrunker to get the info off the tower.

Xplorer00

Premium Subscriber
GRN is planned to cover 47% geographical area or 96% population coverage by 2022.
So we expect a big expansion of GRN sites by years end.
Still being on PMR, you should be fine for a while before GRN is rolled out and working, then followed by activation of phase 2.

If you head south into VIC, it wouldn't hurt to get something now that's capable of Phase 2.
This will give you ears on with their CFA (Phase 1) and SES (Phase 2) on RMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.