NSW RFS VHF Fireground Repeater Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas196

Syd Australia (hawkesbury,lower mountains)
Does anyone know the offset for the 4 repeater channels allocated for use by the RFS in NSW?

Before anyone asks I am a member of the RFS and just trying to program my personal radio for potential use in the field. I know it is not exactly legal to operate my own radio outside the amateur bands but this is not a concern for me as I am not an idiot and certainly do not plan to use the radio on these frequencies often if at all, anyways the repeaters are only ever set up in very special circumstances (like the recent section 44)

Australia4001

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the offset for the 4 repeater channels allocated for use by the RFS in NSW?

Before anyone asks I am a member of the RFS and just trying to program my personal radio for potential use in the field. I know it is not exactly legal to operate my own radio outside the amateur bands but this is not a concern for me as I am not an idiot and certainly do not plan to use the radio on these frequencies often if at all, anyways the repeaters are only ever set up in very special circumstances (like the recent section 44)
As a RFS member , you are not permitted to program your personal radio for use in mission critical environments on a gov radio system

jas196

Syd Australia (hawkesbury,lower mountains)
As a RFS member , you are not permitted to program your personal radio for use in mission critical environments on a gov radio system

Not sure if you read my post but I did already say I know it is not exactly legal..... Just like having a 25w commercial radio in my car is not exactly legal nor are directing people on how to download illegal copies of the Motorola CPS among a million other things.

Ill just use the radio in the truck to figure it out but thought someone here might actually be helpful instead of telling me what I already know.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Then you will know that there is no such thing as "not exactly legal" - something is either legal, or not :)

I recall seeing something a while back from the RFS warning members against using personal radios on their networks, saying it was not only illegal but also an ACMA licensing and network issue for them.

pb_lonny

I know it is not exactly legal.....

And that is the issue, the frequencies you want to use / program are not licenced to you, as such you need permission to use these, clearly you don't have this. All we are trying to do is stop you from doing the wrong thing and getting in trouble, take it as you will...

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
So, let me get this straight, you are an Amateur, and an RFS member, who has intentions to transmit on frequencies you are not licensed for, knowing it's illegal and is admitting to illegal radios in a car?

hhca

in an emergency situation you are permitted to transmit on any frequency, at any strength, with a license or not.

pb_lonny

in an emergency situation you are permitted to transmit on any frequency, at any strength, with a license or not.

This has been done to death before, only if another way was not possible. Having an unauthorised radio programmed "on the off chance" that it might be needed one day does not fly.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't permit you to program them into a radio with TX enabled.

hhca

One does not have to program a radio illegally in advance. It can be written on paper just in case.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if you missed in post #1 OP specifically mentioned programming.

pb_lonny

I didnt miss it. I wasnt talking about his post specifically.

There is no need to program, have written down, have a config prepared with this information...

if you have an official need, a radio will be provided to you. The more people do this sort of thing, the quicker that systems will become encrypted and we won't be able to scan them at all...

hhca

maybe you missed me saying "in an emergency situation"
"There is no need to ..., have written down" - Well maybe radio reference shouldnt publish fireground frequencies, but they do....

hhca

your taking my initial comment out of context. and more recently im just saying theres no rule against knowing the local marine distress frequency even though you dont have a ship radio license....

hhca

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
program my personal radio for potential use in the field

Clearly you missed this bit here, there is nothing in OP about being an emergency. Some people just don't get it. Enjoy it in the clear while you still can, let's hope the RI's track them down before too much damage can be caused.

im just saying theres no rule against knowing the local marine distress frequency even though you dont have a ship radio license....

Knowing them and programming them are two completely different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.