NTSC transmission modulation vs. home RF modulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntscnoob

I'm not nearly as versed in this subject as many of you so I thought I'd ask this here (though I'm not entirely sure this is the right place either).

I'm trying to replicate the viewing experience of old analog NTSC television, at least as best as one reasonably can in 2020. As I understand it, an NTSC composite video signal was transmitted in AM using a vestigial sideband. Chroma was transmitted in QAM and audio was transmitted in FM, often with multiple sound channels. These signals would then be demodulated by the TV.

What I'd like to know is how this degraded the already poor composite video signal, if it did at all, and how this form of modulation might compare in terms of video/sound quality to a home RF modulator you could buy online today for an affordable price, or one you might get in a VCR, DVD player, video game console, etc.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Can't tell you how good or how bad. I know as a consumer that in the decades 50's-80's NTSC TV quality made a dramatic improvement, a lot of it being that receivers were much more stable. I am sure the equipment on the broadcast end also improved trying to prepare for the HDTV arrival.

If you are trying to replicate an old 50's B&W TV resolution, using a good original B&W program material (Twighlight Zone or early Dragnet from a CD perhaps) will get you great contrast.

If you need a cheap modulator...

You can run a composite video out to this from your cable box and modulate Ch 3 or 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.