Numbers station spoof/fake, 6210 kHz, USB, APril 06, 2012, 2020 UTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

Hello all,

Not sure where to put this, general, ute, BC, I'll just throw it here ;)

A “numbers” sounding station was heard on 6210 kHz USB starting about 2020 UTC today (April 06, 2012). It was alittle suspect right from the get-go, the “buzzer” noises combined with the 00000 at the end, and letters sent, kind of had a minor smell to them. The fact it is near a known band of activity for European pirages did not help the matter ;)

The same message was apparently sent twice.

I have partial recordings of both the first and second messages. Unfortunately all of my recorders were busy on other tasks until I realized this was something worth recording, even if just for the funny factor. So, although I heard the entire second transmission I did not record the CVY callup.

The tail end of the first transmission is here:
http://token_radio.home.mchsi.com/Odd_Letters_6210_USB_04062012_2029_rem.mp3

The second transmission I got most of. I started recording right after the last “Charlie Victor Yankee” was sent. The tones heard are part of the transmission, and I believe the recording captured them all.
http://token_radio.home.mchsi.com/Odd_Letters_6210_USB_04062012_2035_rem.mp3

Both of the above transmissions were recorded by me using a Perseus remote in northern Germany. However, I also tuned it in with a Perseus remote in Greece, and it was heard there, although less strong. Those were the only two I had time to try. It was also reported as heard in Russia.

The message has been cracked using Cryptool, and the results are pretty clear that it is a spoof/fake. It is a message from the Pirate sender specifically about numbers “geeks”.

To the source, bravo zulu. It was amusing.

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As it appear to be a EuroPirate, off to the broadcast forum it goes - I can move it again if needed......Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.