Numerous Static hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmchalmers

How many times is the SAME Freq in the data base? I've had to lockout 157.100 45 times in one hour scanning an now today locked out static on 47.42 over 20 times, must be an awful lot of duplicate listings!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
How many times is the SAME Freq in the data base?...
...must be an awful lot of duplicate listings!
A bit more context here would help. Doubtful it has anything to do with Radioreference. Where are you located? What make & model scanner are you using? How is your squelch set? Could be interference caused by an electrical source or more at your listening location, especially since more than one band is affected

Not the first time you posted here about this. My RFI theory is backed by another user on your previous thread here...

Last edited:

a417

U+0000
Power supply on a monitor or other SMPS is my guess.

dmchalmers

Power supply on a monitor or other SMPS is my guess.
Done nothing different since i've used radio ref same wifi same antenna same scanner nothings different other than last time i updated the data base. 45 hits on same freq after locking out? 25 hits on another? niether are in my fav lst its all from the DB

dmchalmers

A bit more context here would help. Doubtful it has anything to do with Radioreference. Where are you located? What make & model scanner are you using? How is your squelch set? Could be interference caused by an electrical source or more at your listening location, especially since more than one band is affected

Not the first time you posted here about this. My RFI theory is backed by another user on your previous thread here...
Thanks for your Radio ref typical reply. never had to lock out the Same freq 45 times after locking out once till my last DB update! 47.42 just popped up today locked out 29 times in a row as of right now niether were ever in my fav list an never were.

a417

U+0000
Done nothing different since i've used radio ref same wifi same antenna same scanner nothings different other than last time i updated the data base. 45 hits on same freq after locking out? 25 hits on another? niether are in my fav lst its all from the DB
So you're scanning the entire DB, and it's hitting on frequencies that happen to have local birdies & RFI. Solution there is to not scan the entire DB, and tailor your favorite lists to avoid those frequencies, and permanently avoid the ones you need to.

You have clear confirmation bias that the DB is faulty, and is the reason you are having to lock out these 45 frequencies or whatever...many of us beg to differ.

Last edited:

a417

U+0000
If you lock it a freq once why does it show up 44 more times ?
because you are ignoring that instance of the frequency in the database, not that specific frequency in the entire scanner. If you are scanning something (the entire DB) that has that frequency 45 times...you will have to lock it out 45 times.

dmchalmers

because you are ignoring that instance of the frequency in the database, not that specific frequency in the entire scanner. If you are scanning something (the entire DB) that has that frequency 45 times...you will have to lock it out 45 times.
Thank You far a Informed reply been scanning my fav list an it still uses the database also for the 49756 are of Mi.

a417

U+0000
Thank You far a Informed reply been scanning my fav list an it still uses the database also for the 49756 are of Mi.
Wat?

I think you may be a bit mistaken about what avoiding a frequency does. It's not blacklisting (isn't that racist, now?) a frequency, it's just ignoring that instance of it. If there was a way to blacklist a frequency in your scanner, that would prevent it from picking up any transmissions on that frequency. Right now, if you had the same frequency in 200 different lists, and you block it in 1 of them, the other 199 will still hit...

dmchalmers

Then give an informed unbias answer to someone trying to figure why things are happening, This so called Sentinels is NOT user friendly!

a417

U+0000
Then give an informed unbias answer to someone trying to figure why things are happening, This so called Sentinels is NOT user friendly!
He's not the one with bias here. I'll agree with you on Sentinel not being user friendly, but it's not the entire issue here.

Disable scanning the entire DB, just use a favorites list for your locale, and lock out the frequencies you have issues with.

16b

Premium Subscriber
There was (at one time, I think it has since been cleaned up somewhat) a county in Ohio that had the same frequency/PL combination listed at least half a dozen times in different categories because it was shared by several agencies. I’ve seen similar things on other database pages. This probably violates some sort of database handbook rule or something. The point is I wouldn’t go assuming this is all the user’s fault and the database is perfect. To the OP, I would check the database pages for the counties you are listening to, and see if those frequencies are listed multiple times.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Are you using a scanner with temporary lockout, or are you using permanent lockout? Temp Lock is only good while the scanner is powered up; once you shut down and power up again it clears all those temp lockouts.

And I just did a DB search for 157.100 CSQ. As I suspected, it's in the database once, in the nationwide listings (it's maritime channel 22A). Ditto for 47.42 CSQ, which is the American Red Cross nationwide frequency. As others have noted, try disabling nationwide full-database search.

Last edited:

dmchalmers

Are you using a scanner with temporary lockout, or are you using permanent lockout? Temp Lock is only good while the scanner is powered up; once you shut down and power up again it clears all those temp lockouts.

And I just did a DB search for 157.100 CSQ. As I suspected, it's in the database once, in the nationwide listings (it's maritime channel 22A). Ditto for 47.42 CSQ, which is the American Red Cross nationwide frequency. As others have noted, try disabling nationwide full-database search.
Thanks for your reply i'll look into that. Alot of premium members just automatically tell you your wrong! Sentinels has user friendly issues a does RF

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
How many times is the SAME Freq in the data base? I've had to lockout 157.100 45 times in one hour scanning an now today locked out static on 47.42 over 20 times, must be an awful lot of duplicate listings!
A bit more context here would help. Doubtful it has anything to do with Radioreference. Where are you located? What make & model scanner are you using? How is your squelch set?
Thanks for your Radio ref typical reply. never had to lock out the Same freq 45 times after locking out once till my last DB update! 47.42 just popped up today locked out 29 times in a row as of right now niether were ever in my fav list an never were.
Then give an informed unbias answer to someone trying to figure why things are happening
Alot of premium members just automatically tell you your wrong!

Seriously?

You ask for help, and Whiskey asked you a few simple questions to try to help, you accuse him of being bias?

Its clear you do not like answers premium members offer you so, you really should go here and find your scanner (since you still have not said what scanner your having problems with) and read up on how things work. You should also go here and read how Sentinel works.

In the end, my money is on user error.

dmchalmers

Still having same issues EVERYDAY ! Same time of day with modem off an at Different Location 5 Miles away?

Status
Not open for further replies.