NW Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightowl66

I broke out my Unident sport cat that I bought in the early 90's to try to listen to the Wood co sheriff. I haven't listened in years. I see they switched to DMR but I can hear some but not all on their freq listed in the database.
I would like to listen to OSP also.
That's about all I'm interested in since I live in the sticks and just want to hear what's going on in the county.
Is there something not too expensive that would suite me? I made a homemade dipole antenna works pretty good on the uniden I have. But want to hear more.
I don't mind finding something used.
Thanks

budevans

I broke out my Unident sport cat that I bought in the early 90's to try to listen to the Wood co sheriff. I haven't listened in years. I see they switched to DMR but I can hear some but not all on their freq listed in the database.
I would like to listen to OSP also.
That's about all I'm interested in since I live in the sticks and just want to hear what's going on in the county.
Is there something not too expensive that would suite me? I made a homemade dipole antenna works pretty good on the uniden I have. But want to hear more.
I don't mind finding something used.
Thanks

OSP is on the MARCS-IP (P25 System). You will need a P25 capable scanner to monitor OSP and other State Agencies.

Both Uniden and Whistler (Radio Shack & GRE) have several scanner models that can monitor P25 systems. Some can even monitor DMR. But the newer full featured models are expensive ($400 - $500).

If you shop around, you may be able to find a less expensive used P25 capable scanner.

Hope this helps.

fyrfyter33

You can get a Whistler 1040 for about $280 and that will cover what you want.

Scanners from the 90s won't hear much in Ohio anymore, since most areas are using digital trunking on the MARCS system.

nightowl66

You can get a Whistler 1040 for about $280 and that will cover what you want.

Scanners from the 90s won't hear much in Ohio anymore, since most areas are using digital trunking on the MARCS system.

Thanks, Amazon has it for $225.

I'd mainly like to hear the Wood Co Sheriff. Below is what is listed in the database.
I can hear some over 151.115, nothing over 154.725 other than a loud noise every couple minutes.
I posted a question about it a few weeks ago and someone suggested I get a
$25 SDR and use DSD+ to monitor to see if it is encrypted or not before I invest in a stand alone scanner.

Would getting the SDR be a way to go to monitor a few things, excluding the OSP for now?
How hard is it to set up?
Thanks for any help.

"Wood Co Sheriff Dispatch switched to DMR 2-2016

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
151.11500 WQQA758 BM SO 1 Analog Sheriff Dispatch (simulcast of 154.725 over analog)"

Nasby

You could get a used PSR-800 or PRO-668 and do the free DMR firmware upgrade.

Then you could hear OSP and the Wood Co. Sheriff.

Davey1

I find the signal strength for the Wood County Sheriff on 151.115 to be weak and unacceptable. It does, however, re-transmit everything that is on the 154.725 DMR repeater.

For listening to Wood County or anything that is on VHF only you could choose a Tytera (or TYT) MD380 or MD390 VHF transceiver for $110 or less that is easy to program to "receive only" for listening to DMR and Analog.

Status
Not open for further replies.