NWS Des Moines Area MICRN Severe Weather Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
I'm looking for someone who is a severe weather, radio equipment, or police scanner enthusiast. This spring I might set up a online streaming weather radio feed. I will provide the scanner and computer equipment, I just need someone with a view of the southern sky. The radio tower is located in southern Story county. I might get better results if I can find someone in Ames, Kelly, Slater, Huxley. Here is the stream I'm looking to put back online: NWS Des Moines Area MICRN Severe Weather Net

NWS Des Moines Area MICRN Severe Weather Net

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
To my knowledge, this stream will be activated again shortly with the coming storm season. It is usually put in the 'off air' status over the winter because MICRN is rarely used then.

I would expect it back online before much longer.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I hope that you do. More people listen to these things than people would think. I watch radar/streams of Warned areas around the Nation on line. My favorite stations on am radio with great weather coverage are am 1330 KNSS Wichita KS, 820 am WBAP in Dallas. Kfor on-line for video and live streams. I used to watch ChaserTV but they just changed their page and I couldn't get it to work. Anytime something in Iowa creeps up, I check WHO on line. I like to listen to local AM/FM radio stations on Internet near warned areas if there was no NOAA feed or Local Police/fire feed on Broadcastify or Tune-IN. I heard the morning Harrisburg IL was hit by a Tornado by listening to the NOAA feeds and police from Carbondale IL. I also followed the Big Tornadoes in OK last year that way until Kfor came on line. Feeds like you're talking about can help people in isolated areas who have smart phones or might be outside without a Weather Radio or am radio. I'm glad we are "allowed" to still listen to Ham Weather Nets and FIRE as the powers that be are encrypting all the police calls that we actually should have the right to hear. Hearing the Police calls saved my rear end several times over the years from Tornadoes on the ground to chases on ISPERN heading my way to some NUT with a shotgun in an area I was going to be in at work. Hope there's something left of our Hobby in the next 5 years after the Government gets a hold of it. Good luck.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Where are you located? I have applied to take over the feed since the owner is no longer able to feed it reliably from his location. I have access to a 99.999% uptime fiber net connection with UPS and generator backup. I will be moving all of my feeds there this spring and I would be happy to add this one as well.

If i get the approval I will be putting this online within a day or two.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
funny thing is, I just applied for a feed just 10 minutes ago myself. I finally found someone with a location in sight of the tower today. If approved I could be up by Wednesday. Let me know what you think.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
It's online right now. It will stay online 24/7 for now. I will look to relocate it in the next 2 weeks to its permanent home.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Sounds good! It doesn't have very much traffic. Not unusual to go a couple days without a peep. Tonight Polk Co checked in to get wind conditions for a hazmat situation, but that was it. Hopefully we have an active weather pattern this summer and we get some action!

dcemer

I had a listen today. Seems to be some constant noise on it. Also hearing what sounds like some bleed over traffic but couldn't make it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

timkilbride

Database Admin
I had a listen today. Seems to be some constant noise on it. Also hearing what sounds like some bleed over traffic but couldn't make it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Running feeds for free isn't cheap <--If that even makes sense ?!?!.

I'm always accepting free Griffin iMic versus using bottom of the barrel sound cards :) I'm sure Adam is as well. I run 6 feeds and have setup another 2 then transferred all equipment over to the new owner , very hard to get perfect audio when running multiple feeds on one computer. iMic's seems to work the best, I have bought 7 of them, 4 of them are still in service. 3 of them got taken out in a nearby lightning strike. Just trying to provide a little in-site on what goes on behind the scenes. We won't get into my electric bill this time around :)

Tim

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
To kinda reiterate what Tim said, the equipment that goes into this is not free. I don't mind doing it and I will continue to do so until I'm unable to provide reliable service. That being said, I also source 6 feeds from this location from a stack of professional radios into iMic sound adapters. The cabling for them is where the bleedover is coming from and I am currently working on redoing the entire system and relocation it to a much better spot. Overall the upgrade is going to be near $1000 as i am replacing all the radios, building a new rack mount server and welding up a rack mount cage to hold all the gear. Not to mention the antenna mast and coax run I need installed.

So while I don't mind hosting all of this, please keep in mind this comes out of my pocket and hearing a tiny bit of bleedover (which I can't honestly hear even with headphones on this particular feed) is not even an issue to me right now. It will get addressed, but the -90db hiss is barely audible to even someone that knows it's there.

Anyways sorry to rant, but I literally get 2-3 messages a week about a hiss or bleedover that's been there for years so I wanted to clear the air, it's getting fixed eventually but unless you'd like to make a donation towards the new system you will need to give me time to do it :)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.