NWS on MSWIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

shfd7

Does anyone know if the NWS broadcast information on the MSWIN system like they do on VHF? I went through the data base and didn't see anything.
Or does anyone know if it has even been discussed about them being on MSWIN?

QuietPlease

...I'm trying to listen.
Database Admin
I know they sometimes make announcements for severe weather on the special event channels. I don’t know if it a regular thing or just for tornadoes, but I’ve heard them several times.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
NWS does not have a dedicated TG as of yet, unlike how AWIN has one. They go to MEMA, and MEMA and County/Municipal EOC's do the broadcasts, along with MHP.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Are you talking about where they are broadcasting 24/7 weather?
No, he means for active events such as flooding, tornadoes, and so on. An actual direct TG for LEA's/EMA's/FD's spotters to talk to NWS, and NWS to sent out warnings etc. Some States have this set up on their statewide systems, such as is on the AWIN. Its like the professional version of a SkyWARN net. Speaking of: Some systems even do have amateur/Hams SkyWARN TG's also!

Hammerguy69

Actually I believe they do. They don’t use it much. They use the MEMA talkgroup more since more users have it already.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The NWS LINK TG, and the set of Public Schools Emergency Statewide TG's are not in any codeplugs yet. Both have been talked about for at least 3 years now, and have yet to be set up. Its hard enough with only ONE radio shop other than MHP's for the entire State of MS MSWIN radios to get even the upgrading to TDMA for all users done, much less everything else that is supposed to happen on MSWIN! Also on the TO DO LIST: A TG for each Hospital/Medical Center in the state, this is in addition to the MedCOM system. A set of Statewide Commons for Fire, EMS, LEA's not just the Regional/Phase Mutual Aid/Interops. All were supposed to be done by 2020... We will see if that actually happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammerguy69

I think you would be very surprised with what all is happening with MSWIN. Don’t know if they will ever do a true “statewide” fire like they use to have on VHF. Too many chances to get someone hurt. Being a true statewide system, a crew from say Harrison Co could end up working a fire on the same talk group as say Lee county fire. Would cause mass confusion and possibly get someone hurt. With the old VHF there was enough separation that it didn’t really matter. You may see a region common law, fire, ems but I don’t believe you will see a statewide fire/law/EMS. Not sure what you mean about only one other shop besides MHP. THere are multiple shops that service the radios. MHP only services DPS radios. NWS has has a talkgroup for around 3 years now. Don’t think they will create a statewide school talkgroup either. Again maybe a regional but not statewide. Plus that’s what the 40 special events were created for and required to be in all radios out on the system.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Schools were to be added and NOT just ONE TG... A entire zone of them. This was put out as a MUST HAPPEN be both the current Governor and the former one.

Hammerguy69

Schools were to be added and NOT just ONE TG... A entire zone of them. This was put out as a MUST HAPPEN be both the current Governor and the former one.
Have never see that requirement for a complete zone of school talkgroups. Can you provide a link to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.