NWS Transmitter Locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
Located in the Capital District. Wondering where the NWS has their transmitters located so I can guage if my antenna(s) are working well.

162.425 (quiet here)
162.475 (quiet here)
162.550 (best signal)

Thanks!
Scott

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you can get a more specific antenna location by plugging in the site's callsign here:

Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

WXL34 looks to be on Lexington between Ontario and Quail street (just west of Tivoli park).

That lookup may be suspect. The location it describes is almost downtown Albany. I believe NWS is either up at SUNY Albany or at the airport and the transmitter on a mountain somewhere nearby. Investigating further...

nd5y

That lookup may be suspect. The location it describes is almost downtown Albany.

Same thing here. I know what tower the Mineral Wells transmitter is on and ARTSCI shows it on the other side of town.

Their ham repeater database is also notoriously inaccurate.

D

DaveNF2G

The voice announcement from that transmitter says that it is "in the Helderbergs."

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
It is (or at least was) on the WMHT tower in the Helderbergs. Note the name of the site on the page UPMan posted - "New Scotland"

I seriously doubt it is in downtown Albany - that would not make RF sense for wide area coverage. Sounds like a default entry in a mapping software.

The weather service office is on Fuller Road. But they have several transmitters that cover the forecast area - including Helderbergs, Mt. Greylock, Gore Mountain and others.

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
It is (or at least was) on the WMHT tower in the Helderbergs. Note the name of the site on the page UPMan posted - "New Scotland"

I seriously doubt it is in downtown Albany - that would not make RF sense for wide area coverage. Sounds like a default entry in a mapping software.

The weather service office is on Fuller Road. But they have several transmitters that cover the forecast area - including Helderbergs, Mt. Greylock, Gore Mountain and others.

Yes, they are in the big white "ship" building that the Nano folks have essentially taken over. What about the Atomoshperic Sciences Research Center? Are they still part of SUNY Albany? I remeber growing up in Saranac Lake, the weather guy was in Ray Brook and always said on his weather report on WNBZ someting like "this is Bob Kampf, Atmospheric Sciences Research Station, State University of Albany. Have a great day." After I moved down here I went to find the ASRC. It as in a old building on Everett Road with the shades all messed up. Looked like it was ransacked. Glad they upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.