• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-320 Multi channel PTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

riodda

Hi to everybody, i'm a bit a newbie so i hope you will forgive me for propably silly questions.
I use Kenwood NX-320 for Motorsport purposes and we have a couple of hedphones that conncets to the NX-320 trough the 2 jack connctors, those hadphones have 3 different buttons, if i press button one i transmit Zone 1 Channel 1, with button 2 i trasmit Zone 1 Channel 2 and with button 2 i trasmit zone 1 Channel 3.
I think that the headphone cirquits has like a serial stream that tells the handheld radio what to do and i would like to know if this serial commands are some how documented becouse i wish to make a new headphones on my own based to the same principle.
I know that the company that builds the headphones buys the cirquit from somebody, for me would be ok alse buy the cirquits and then integrate them in my design.
Thanks, and best Regards.

riodda

Sorry i did a little mistake in my text, when i press button 3 i trasmint zone 1 channel 3 not channel 2 as i wrote.
This kind of headphones is pretty common in motorsports but i would love to figure out what is the criquitery that makes this possible.
Thanks.

flux4201

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, what brand and model headset are you using? Generally Kenwood does not give out there serial protocol documentation, normally only to manufactures of accessories such as that headset manufacture.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The NX-220/NX-320 can be controlled by the 2.5mm/3.5mm speaker mic connector, but it uses what Kenwood refers to as a "PC type command", not a switch closure that you could recreate easily. Even if you could recreate it, it's not going to be a simple task.

If you were using the NX-300 or NX-310, it has a different type of connector on the side and it gives you some more functions.

Posting a model/brand for your headset might help.

Other option is to program the radios keys (if you have the keypad model) to go to the channels you want.

riodda

Hmm, what brand and model headset are you using? Generally Kenwood does not give out there serial protocol documentation, normally only to manufactures of accessories such as that headset manufacture.
Headset is custom Build for Motorposrt Purposes from a small italian reseller called D'Alessio, but MRTC in uk has the same option.

riodda

The NX-220/NX-320 can be controlled by the 2.5mm/3.5mm speaker mic connector, but it uses what Kenwood refers to as a "PC type command", not a switch closure that you could recreate easily. Even if you could recreate it, it's not going to be a simple task.

If you were using the NX-300 or NX-310, it has a different type of connector on the side and it gives you some more functions.

Posting a model/brand for your headset might help.

Other option is to program the radios keys (if you have the keypad model) to go to the channels you want.

I was supposing a serial kind of communication rather than a simple switch, unfortunately i can't use side buttons or the keypad since on the first case the radio are in the back of the operator and therefore side switch are hard to reach and identify, the Radio Model il NX-320E3 and has no keypad.
I've found no traces one the net of "PC type command" for any NX radio, just for sat radios like TS-XXXX.
If somebody has this reference i would really love to have it !

Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
All I've been able to find on the protocol is this:

Protocol type Version 1:
This command starts with STX (Start of
Text) and ends with ETX (End of Text). This
command is compatible with transceivers
that support the KENWOOD PC Interface
Protocol.

Version 2:
The command sequence is almost the same
as the Version 1 data format, but it has the
command sequence of Version 1 and a
sequence number (SEQ).

riodda

All I've been able to find on the protocol is this:

Protocol type Version 1:
This command starts with STX (Start of
Text) and ends with ETX (End of Text). This
command is compatible with transceivers
that support the KENWOOD PC Interface
Protocol.

Version 2:
The command sequence is almost the same
as the Version 1 data format, but it has the
command sequence of Version 1 and a
sequence number (SEQ).

Yep, this is the same i've found on the help of the KPG software.
I hope somebody can have a kind of reference manual of the PC commands, since i think ar common on most of the kenwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.