• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5000 Series, Q&A, Info, and details

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else who uses the audio recording feature noticed SD card corruption issues after a while? I find after a few months I start getting "SD CARD ERROR" on screen and have to re-format the SD card in order for recording to work again.

The cards are typically still perfectly readable in a computer, but the radio stops liking them and won't continue recording until a format. I'm going to switch over to an A1-rated card to see if that makes any difference.

This is on an NX57/5800 combo setup on FW 4.32

Could it be when the card gets full, maybe the radio is liking the need to overwrite?

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
Still 12/16 GB free on the card so that's not it.

My current theory is the cheap samsung SD card I was using couldn't handle the high write cycles that you get from constant recording. Hence trying an A1 rated card. We'll see if that helps at all.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
OK, yeah that was going to be my next question was the card quality. Give it a try and let us know after awhile how it's going.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I would gladly pay for an option / option board, like Motorola radios can accept, that enable me to hear everything on a DMR channel I am monitoring. Makes no sense why DMR is setup so you have to have so many things lined up just to hear only what the radio allows you to hear on the channel, v/s NXDN, where you hear everything, unless you enable a RAN and / or a talkgroup to only monitor that.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
This has nothing to do with stealing technology.

I have DMR Mototrbo radios, and DMR Kenwood. I have an option with my XPR series to install a board that will pass all audio from DMR. I do not have this option on Kenwood DMR, but I would like to have it.

I was hoping somebody would know if there may be a way to accomplish this with my Kenwood.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Could it be Kenwood owns NXDN and Motorola owns DMR?

Kenwood does not own NXDN. NXDN was developed by Icom and Kenwood and there's a few others that support it. Kenwood makes and sells a lot of DMR gear.

Same with DMR, it's defined by the European ETSI standard and many companies make DMR radios. Motorola just has a way of taking a standard and suddenly making it proprietary.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
My thoughts were when you own or develop a standard you keep more options for yourself. That is why I posted as a question.
I also have NX5200 and NX5300 as our Department is looking to go fulltime DMR as DMR is being used in areas around us.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My thoughts were when you own or develop a standard you keep more options for yourself. That is why I posted as a question.

Oh, got it.
Yeah, I haven't seen Icom or Kenwood do that. Icom only did 6.25KHz NXDN for a while, but Kenwood did 6.25 and 12.5KHz NXDN. Eventually Icom came around. Both have shared the trunking protocols, Type C and Type D and it's possible to make an Icom radio work on a Kenwood trunking system and vice-versa.

On the other hand, Motorola bastardized some of the DMR Type3 standards and adding their own features that locked you into Motorola radios. As Motorola loves to do.

As for the DMR deficiencies noted above, I'm not totally clear on the request, but when I've looked at similar things in the past, it's often a ham radio user expecting ham radio functionality on a LMR radio.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
This has nothing to do with stealing technology.

I have DMR Mototrbo radios, and DMR Kenwood. I have an option with my XPR series to install a board that will pass all audio from DMR. I do not have this option on Kenwood DMR, but I would like to have it.

I was hoping somebody would know if there may be a way to accomplish this with my Kenwood.

You can disable ID filtering and listen to any ID. The channel will still follow color code and time slot however.

Personal > Personal Features > Open Voice Channel Mode

Open Voice Channel Mode (Transceiver Settings > Personal > Personal Features > DMR Conventional > DMR)
When the transceiver receives a signal with OVCM applied, the user of the transceiver can hear the conversation even if the IDs do not match.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that, Ramal121. I am still learning DN1. I know well I could get a scanner and monitor all I want, but this is exactly what I was looking for. This is for business use, and unless we start getting interference from another DMR user, we won't be changing color codes.

When you state "ID" do you mean Talkgroup ID, or User ID?

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone managed to get a good set of audio settings for better analog TX audio? I recall a year or so ago someone posted settings that people said made things better but I can't find that post now.

Even on the latest firmware, TX audio in analog mode still has the same issues it had years ago. Low volume, no compression/companding of any kind, and a high frequency rolloff that sounds "muddy" for lack of a better word.

Robert721

Is there is a pdf programming guide for the KPG-D1? I'm waiting on radios to ship and would like to read up on the software.

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone managed to get a good set of audio settings for better analog TX audio? I recall a year or so ago someone posted settings that people said made things better but I can't find that post now.

Even on the latest firmware, TX audio in analog mode still has the same issues it had years ago. Low volume, no compression/companding of any kind, and a high frequency rolloff that sounds "muddy" for lack of a better word.

Well for those curious, I went ahead and analyzed the various mic type settings to see if there was any appreciable difference.

NX5000_Mic_Response_Plot.png

Looks like the only mic type that makes any real difference is mic type 7, which boosts mic sensitivity substantially and adds more response to the high end of the voice spectrum. This setting is meant for the KCT-73MIC external mic kit, which likely has a lower output amplitude.

What's interesting is that there's seemingly no difference in the response curve between any of the other mic types.

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
I thought the audio settings only affected digital and not analog. Is that not correct?

I believe microphone type is one of, if not the only, setting that actually impacts analog. And as shown above, there's really only one option that makes any noticable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.