• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5000 Series, Q&A, Info, and details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Thanks, that's what I figured - I might be mixing up the two orders I just made, we also ordered a single-deck radio for another truck and maybe that was the one I got the basic display on. Much appreciated.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
^ and in the setup you described I'd think you'd want to have that access on the display so I'd for sure want the 20R if possible.

harbor804

Hello all and I apologize in advance for showing up and starting with questions.

We are having a stuttering effect when our NX-5200 radios are on the scan. The radio traffic is broken and almost undiscernable only when in scan mode. When the radio is not scanning the traffic is perfect. I am new to the radio programming game and am not familiar with the different settings.

Would someone be able to provide me with some generic settings for the dropout delay, dwell, and look back times?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Hello all and I apologize in advance for showing up and starting with questions.

We are having a stuttering effect when our NX-5200 radios are on the scan. The radio traffic is broken and almost undiscernable only when in scan mode. When the radio is not scanning the traffic is perfect. I am new to the radio programming game and am not familiar with the different settings.

Would someone be able to provide me with some generic settings for the dropout delay, dwell, and look back times?

Describe in better/greater detail what you mean by stuttering.

harbor804

03msc,

Thanks for responding and offering to help. The communication is cut out or something similar to a tapping throughout the transmission. Once again this is only when on the scan mode. I have been focusing on the priority scans and am now considering removing them altogether.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
03msc,

Thanks for responding and offering to help. The communication is cut out or something similar to a tapping throughout the transmission. Once again this is only when on the scan mode. I have been focusing on the priority scans and am now considering removing them altogether.

Yep, sounds exactly like it is supposed to operate when in priority scan mode and it is receiving a channel other than the priority channel (the drop-out is when it's checking the priority channel for traffic). If you turn off priority it should go away. You can also change your priority configuration as far as which channel is priority (i.e. currently selected channel, a specific pre-set channel, etc.

harbor804

Thanks, I went ahead and turned it off which solved the issue. Are there typical or generic number settings for the dropout and look back settings?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I went ahead and turned it off which solved the issue. Are there typical or generic number settings for the dropout and look back settings?

That's really just personal preference. I think there are some default settings in those fields but you can adjust them to whatever suits you.

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know how selecting a DMR talkgroup behaves on the radios? For instance, I'd like to have a single personality for each of the timeslots of a local repeater with selectable groups on each. Right now I've got a single personality for each timeslot, set up with "selcall on PTT" and set to a group ID. I'm wondering how this setup behaves with the "group" menu item and how/if the selected group ID persists for future PTTs. Ideally I'd like to be able to select the group ID once and have the radio continue to use it until I change it again.

The DMR function reference guide isn't too clear on what actually happens when you use the DMR Group menu item. Can anybody shed some light on this? I would very much like to avoid selecting the group ID I want every time I PTT.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
It does not work well.

I have issues with it when I try to select a group dynamically using Group menu item. Once the timer runs out it'll revert to Selcall on PTT (if selected) or a non-existent talkgroup (if no Selcall on PTT). It won't stay persistent (at least that I could find) and it would require selecting the group each time. I've been unable to determine which Reset Timer affects this (but I can't stand ham DMR so I didn't put too much energy into it).

I suggest creating each personality with Selcall.

Wackodrumr

I've got the 5700 (main deck) & 5800 with full control head. Is there a setting to keep the main deck from overriding the secondary deck when it's selected?

I've got my radio programmed in conventional with personalities. When I want to hear the UHF side, my VHF will override the UHF even if the UHF is selected for transmit.

I was told a few Firmware versions ago that there was no fix for this. I'm probably a few version behind and wonder if it's been fixed.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered a triple-deck single-head configuration for my new fire truck coming in January, and I'm pretty sure I spec'd the basic head (KCH-19). Can someone tell me if the simultaneous receive/display functionality is available with the basic head, or should I be going with a full featured head (KCH-20R) instead?

Primary audio comes out of the speaker on the basic head unless you use external speakers on EACH DECK.
(same goes with the KCH20 with the KCT72 on the head)
To get full all deck receive you need to use external speakers on each deck (kes-5 with the KAP-2 or the mini speaker)

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the nx-5200 / nx-5700 is part 80 certified? I can't find anywhere saying what its certified for. I think I read somewhere that they didnt do Part 95 on the uhf Models this time around..... didnt stop me from programming GMRS lol. I'd like follow the rules though on part 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.