• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5200 P25 Receive Phase 1 with only a P25 license

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTffLT

Forgive me in advance since I'm a novice at KPG-D1N.

I want to receive (not transmit on) my local phase 1 system to listen to some of the other agencies I work with. I have a NX-5200 with a P25 license but unfortunately it doesn't have the phase 1 add-on license since my agency doesn't use the local phase 1 system for day-to-day operations yet.

I am able to receive everything on the tower (with the exception of encryption I assume, which is fine) by entering in all the non-control channels from my local tower by entering on the correct NAC and modulation type for each personality/channel and adding them to the scan list. I would like to narrow that down further to only break squelch for a few talkgroups, but from what I can tell, you can only set one talkgroup per personality/channel.

Would the only work-around (given my cheapness) for monitoring a few specific talk-groups be to create a new set of tower personality/channels for every talkgroup I wanted to filter on?

Example:
CH1 TOWER1_FREQ1 TG1234
CH2 TOWER1_FREQ2 TG1234
CH3 TOWER1_FREQ3 TG1234
CH4 TOWER1_FREQ4 TG1234

CH5 TOWER1_FREQ1 TG5678
CH6 TOWER1_FREQ2 TG5678
CH7 TOWER1_FREQ3 TG5678
CH8 TOWER1_FREQ4 TG5678

Is there a better way of doing this that wouldn't require paying for the phase 1 license since all I want to do is receive a few phase 1 talkgroups (2-3 of them) or is that about it?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
First, you will need kwd-5100cv, p25 conventional. Way you say phase 1, you also need to say trunking, as phase 1 is implied to both conventional and trunking. Phase 2 is tdma p25 trunking.

The list as you have it is correct, you scan all the channels minus the control channel. There is no filtering of the talkgroups so you hear all traffic.

EMTffLT

Yes, I am trying to monitor a phase 1 trunking system. Thanks for the clarification. I do have KWD-5100CV but not KWD-5101TR. Setting up all the channels minus the control channel as P25 conventional works but hearing all the traffic is a bit much.

I did find a way to mute the receiver until one talkgroup is active by modifying each personality's P25 section to change the squelch type from NAC to "selective call" and reference an entry in the talkgroup ID list, but I believe this behaves more like two-tone. I also suspect I'm still tying up the receiver when another talkgroup is active on that frequency, it's just muted. Seems inefficient to say the least, but it works.

This was more of a challenge to see what I could monitor on this radio before it's later upgraded with the correct licensing. I believe the current work-around is impractical for daily use due to the added scan time, but I can disable that zone from the scan list when I don't want it in there.

Nevertheless, I'm learning something along the way. I appreciate your time.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You'll also want to program all of the channels as when control channels aren't being used as control channels, they are normal voice channels for the system.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
with these and the Vikings, there is no NAS ability, so don't try to spend the money for a Trunk License, wont get you past where you are now, unless you get your radio programmed by the system owner. food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.