• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5200 questions before buying

nucleaireqc

I saw a radio for sale on a radio group but this one forgot the write password of the radio.. is there a way to erase the password and programming?

I saw that there is a usb port on the is it the port to program the radio?

thank you because kenwood radios are not my knowledge.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is a bit more to this you need to figure out.

There are 3 password levels on the radios:
Read password - if active the radio can only be read with the password.
Write password - if active the radio can only be written with the password.
Read/Write password - both of the above.

If it -just- has the read password only, you can create a new file and overwrite the radio with a new codeplug without a password.

The other two, you either need the password from the original owner, or you'd need to send the radio in to Kenwood to have it wiped.

I'd be cautious about buying a radio like this. There's a lot of questionable sellers out there who sell radios with questionable backgrounds. A big agency won't "forget" the pass word. A small agency may have their radios programmed by a local shop, who may have put passwords on the radios to lock them into the specific shop.

Getting the password removed may turn out to be costly. If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I saw a radio for sale on a radio group but this one forgot the write password of the radio.. is there a way to erase the password and programming?

I saw that there is a usb port on the is it the port to program the radio?

thank you because kenwood radios are not my knowledge.
on a NX-5200 there is no USB port. You need the appropiate programming cable. Now the VM series mobiles can have a remote front on the deck with a USB port available.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
charger battery have a usb port

?charger battery?

Some aftermarket batteries have an external USB port for charging, but it's not for programming the radio.

?battery charger?

The KAS-12 battery reader has a USB port, but that is only for reading the battery data, not for programming the radio.

The KPG-36 is the USB programming cable. It is for programming the radio and will not bypass the passwords.