• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX 700/800 and Zello

cbrrider06

Premium Subscriber
To all. Is there a way to set up the nx 700/800 to work with the App Zello, via a desk top computer? If this has already been ask, share the link or page for me to review. Thanks in advance.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The audio in/out/PTT pins are all available on the rear DB25 connector.

You'll need to program the radio correctly to use those pins.

But that should let you interface to whatever computer to radio interface box you are going to use.
How you do it depends entirely on what you are using for an interface box. It will not be a plug-n-play thing.
It will also depend on your skill level.
We have several NX-900's interfaced to a console, they are designed specifically to do this. It takes some work and all the settings will depend exactly on what you have.

cbrrider06

Premium Subscriber
Basically I have had the ideal about linking my base radio which is programmed to my Local Ham repeater, to the Zello app running on my desktop computer and in return i can talk with the app on my phone and be able to talk to the repeater.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Basically I have had the ideal about linking my base radio which is programmed to my Local Ham repeater, to the Zello app running on my desktop computer and in return i can talk with the app on my phone and be able to talk to the repeater.

The radio will support that. You'll need the interface between the computer and the radio. Not sure what's out there for Zello.
The audio/PTT interfaces are on the DB25. You'll need to program the radio to accept those inputs. It's not difficult, but you will need to set that up before it will work.

Running LMR radios in an application like this is fine. Usually LMR gear is designed for 5-5-90 use, 5% listen, 5% transmit, 90% idle.
Hams (no offense, I'm a ham also) tend to be long winded and can quickly overheat a radio if they tie it up for too long. Maybe not a problem for you, but others using the link may not understand.
Run the transmitter at its lowest power setting. 5 watts into a good antenna should be more than enough to get into any local repeater.
Use a good antenna/feed line so you get a good signal into/out of the repeater.
Set a time out timer on the radio, 60 seconds should be more than enough.
Ideally, you want a way to kill the link remotely if it gets locked up or someone gets into it that shouldn't be. Not sure what Zello supports.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
To add to the killing it remotely part... If you log in to the "feed" zello account on a different device it will log the original one out. That won't be super useful if there's a hardware problem betweem the radio and pc but it's an easy way to "remotely" kill the application. I don't think zello (the free version at least) supports any other way to remotely kill a feed.

jcefd10

Im probably late to this response. But I have set up Zello Work with a NX700 for our FD and several other agencies in the area. I ordered a gateway from ROXI and he sent the cables I needed along with what instructions to program. Once I got it tweaked it had worked perfectly. I can help you out if needed.

emacs

I have also dealt with Roxi gateways for a few local agencies and they work well. If you don't want to shell out for a premade interface cable, they're pretty good about providing pinouts so you can make your own.