• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-700/800 Repeater Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordo2114

I've tried searching for this already without much luck, so if there is a thread out with this info please shoot me in the right direction. Has anyone been able to build a DB25 cable for connecting 2 NX series radios and running them in NXDN mode passing digital audio. I was able to modify and do this with 2 ICOM 5061 series radios with very good results, but my information and knowledge is limited when it comes to Kenwood products. Essentially I would like to use 2 NX series mobiles back to back for a mobile repeater project. Any info is appreciated and hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here.

nnt236

If you need caller ID, you should use NXR710/810/NXR5700/NXR5800 repeater.
If you want to use 2 NX-700/800 as a repeater in NXDN conventional mode (don't need caller ID).
Rx radio ---------TxRadio
17-------VR 10k-----6
7--------------------7
22-------------------12
In KPG-111D software to program 2 radios:
Edit/Extended Function, tab AUX
DB25-12pin Input External PTT(Voice) Low No
DB25-22pin Output TOR Low

Edit/Extended Function, tab Modulation Line
Mic PTT connect connect
Externer PTT (Voice) connect connect

Set UID for 2 radios in Edit/NXDN/NXDN1/Unit ID (Own): 1

danielxgame

I've tried searching for this already without much luck, so if there is a thread out with this info please shoot me in the right direction. Has anyone been able to build a DB25 cable for connecting 2 NX series radios and running them in NXDN mode passing digital audio. I was able to modify and do this with 2 ICOM 5061 series radios with very good results, but my information and knowledge is limited when it comes to Kenwood products. Essentially I would like to use 2 NX series mobiles back to back for a mobile repeater project. Any info is appreciated and hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here.
---
you mean you gonna make cross link, between 2 radio. analog and digital, UHF to VHF?, NXR is for repeater you can crosslink 800 uhf to it, or if you like radio to radio for more coverage you can crosslink UHF to VHF, analog to digital.

Jordo2114

Appreciate the info!!.... Basically I was curious if it is possible to do a bi directional link with two mobiles in NXDN mode. I don't need to go from analog to digital I just want an NXDN bi directional link if its possible.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Appreciate the info!!.... Basically I was curious if it is possible to do a bi directional link with two mobiles in NXDN mode. I don't need to go from analog to digital I just want an NXDN bi directional link if its possible.

Yes, it's possible.
If you do it, you either will want a controller in the middle to handle things like ID'ing and being able to kill the TX if it gets stuck.
Alternatively, you can program the CW id option on the radio, and set a transmit time out timer for something reasonable (30 seconds or so).

Since they are mobiles, you'd need to be cautious about heat build up if you were using them in a repeater application, they won't like running a high power for long periods. Usually a real good idea to run them at low power and make sure there is some cooling applied.

Jordo2114

Perfect Thank you ! Im currently doing this with 2 ICOM 6061 mobiles and a simple DB25 cable. What controller would you suggest or can I make a cable like was suggested above? Also do I need to do any internal modifications, with the Icoms I had to solder a coffee bean or two.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well, the instructions above would be a good start for building your own cable. Adjusting the settings on the "extended function" will get the DB-25 connector set up for what you need.
You'll need to play with the potentiometer to get the audio correct.

You can set the CW ID to handle the ID'ing for you, and the time out timer I mentioned above should help to keep from frying the radio.

The controller would pretty much do the same thing for you, maybe add a few options, but for a basic repeater, you've got what you need.

Just make sure you have a way to kill the thing if it gets locked on TX.

Jordo2114

Well, the instructions above would be a good start for building your own cable. Adjusting the settings on the "extended function" will get the DB-25 connector set up for what you need.
You'll need to play with the potentiometer to get the audio correct.

You can set the CW ID to handle the ID'ing for you, and the time out timer I mentioned above should help to keep from frying the radio.

The controller would pretty much do the same thing for you, maybe add a few options, but for a basic repeater, you've got what you need.

Just make sure you have a way to kill the thing if it gets locked on TX.
Thank You sir much appreciated ! Have you found a better way of essentially building a mobile repeater for use in a vehicle? I know pyramid just came out with an NXDN series a while back but it is super expensive right now. The county I work for is currently using a pyramid SVR 200 hooked to a NX-700 mobile in NXDN mode for in car repeating but the audio quality is awful.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll add...
I've never used a pair of these to make a repeater, but I do have a handful of them used as control stations hooked up to a Zetron dispatch console.
For our repeaters, I'm using NXR-900's set up as a 5 channel trunked system.
The NXR's work well since they are designed for the duty cycle. The drawback to the NXR-x00 line is that they are only "exciters" and need an external RF amplifier to get enough power out of them for any real repeater use.

The NXR-x10's have a higher power output 25-40 watts, but they are pretty expensive. A pair of NX-x00 mobiles would be a good option if your duty cycle is low.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank You sir much appreciated ! Have you found a better way of essentially building a mobile repeater for use in a vehicle? I know pyramid just came out with an NXDN series a while back but it is super expensive right now. The county I work for is currently using a pyramid SVR 200 hooked to a NX-700 mobile in NXDN mode for in car repeating but the audio quality is awful.

The analog <-> digital conversion using analog audio in's/out's on the radios usually sucks, doesn't matter the brand.
The NXDN - NXDN should sound better.

Honestly if you have to put in a bunch of these, the Pyramids would be a better approach.

Another expensive option is to use the NX-5000 radios in a dual RF deck configuration. There is a way to set that up to act as a mobile repeater, but again, an expensive approach.

Jordo2114

Yes this setup will get minimal use maybe keyed up 3 to 4 times an hour. I would do this with ICOM radios but our county has all Kenwood equipment using a 12.5khz channel spacing and my older ICOMS will only do NXDN in 6.25khz. I would love to be able to afford the new nx-5000 series !! Looks like a killer radio ! I mostly use ICOM equipment because it what I am familiar with and it seems like they are always 3 steps behind Kenwood when it comes to the digital platform. Again thanks for the info !!

WQVC723

Feed Provider
I am trying to cross a 700 and 800. I see where you said hook pin 17 to pin 6 but what does the VR 10k mean in between? I haven't built anything like this before and want to make sure before I connect anything.

Jordo2114

No Problem...VR stands for variable resistor or also known as a 10k potentiometer.....this is to be used to adjust voice audio quality....i have not built the cable yet to find a good resistance value for the best audio

WQVC723

Feed Provider
No Problem...VR stands for variable resistor or also known as a 10k potentiometer.....this is to be used to adjust voice audio quality....i have not built the cable yet to find a good resistance value for the best audio
Ok. That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure before I tried anything. Thanks!

WQVC723

Feed Provider
Well I built my cable. And my resistance is actually set all the up on maximum resistance currently and it sounded pretty good. I hooked an NX-700 to an NX-800 and it sounded great. Then I hooked my two NX-800’s together on separate antennas and it sounds decent but could use some more adjustment. But I am having trouble every now and again with one radio hanging in transmit mode. My TOT hits and kills it but it’s only on certain channels it hangs. But I did do NXDN to NXDN and it sounded pretty good! Thanks for everyone’s help by the way it is much appreciated!

WQVC723

Feed Provider
Thats awesome ! So basically no need for the resistor ?
I have mine all the way up, so at the 10k resistance. So yes I would say keep it. When I turned my resistance down the audio sounded terrible. I would almost add a little more than 10k resistance to it for in band repeating. But you’ll defiantly want it. When I put my meter on my resistor it is reading about 10.57-11.24 where I have it set. We even tested on a repeated channel and the other guy said it sounded good.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
But I am having trouble every now and again with one radio hanging in transmit mode. My TOT hits and kills it but it’s only on certain channels it hangs.

Since it's in-band (UHF - UHF) you are overloading the receiver and it's staying keyed up. Moving antennas farther apart or getting a duplexer and using one antenna will resolve that.

Glad to hear you got it working.

WQVC723

Feed Provider
Since it's in-band (UHF - UHF) you are overloading the receiver and it's staying keyed up. Moving antennas farther apart or getting a duplexer and using one antenna will resolve that.

Glad to hear you got it working.
Ok! I will that a try after while! I have about 2 feet between antennas right now but have more space to separate further.

Status
Not open for further replies.