• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX 700 programming, want Channel ID to show, not User ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I have experience programming NX series radios (KPG-111D) but am wanting to program an NX700 to where the channel number will display, rather than the User ID when rx NXDN.

Would be great if they could alternate, or display channel ID in the sub display.

Am I missing something, or can this be done?

Thanks in advance

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In KPG-11, under the NXDN settings:
General 1 tab.
Set Group Call Display Type to - Calling Transceiver ID/Group ID.

I think that's what you are looking for. That will alternate between the NXDN caller ID and the Channel/Group name.

You can also go into Optional Features 1, Common Page 1 and set Sub-LCD display to CH/GID number. That will give you the UMBER, not the name.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to show both? As in, either alternate between the Channel, and the User ID?

Reason being, is sometimes there are multiple NXDN channels in a scan list, and when a UID (number or name if programmed as such) the UID / name only is displayed, and we can't tell what -channel- the UID is from.

From what you posted, theoretically it should alternate, but on "Op features 1, the options given are "Display format;" One is; "CH / GID name" the other is; "Zone - Ch / GID Number" ....Is that what I'm needing?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, I think that is what you are looking for. Give it a try.

I'm using that on my trunked system. Alternates between the Caller ID and the Group (Channel) name.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
This is not on trunking, this is on conventional.

"Zone text length" = None

"Sub-LCD Display" = Zone number (Alt is "CH / GID Number", OST list number" and "Site number")

"Display format" = CH / GID name (Alt is "Zone - CH / GID number"

Then it goes to Time, Date, etc.

Considering this, how do I set it to alternate Channel and User ID?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is not on trunking, this is on conventional.

"Zone text length" = None

"Sub-LCD Display" = Zone number (Alt is "CH / GID Number", OST list number" and "Site number")

"Display format" = CH / GID name (Alt is "Zone - CH / GID number"

Then it goes to Time, Date, etc.

Considering this, how do I set it to alternate Channel and User ID?

Yeah, I know, you are using conventional.

Did you try what I suggested?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate your assistance!

What you suggested aren't options available on conventional (not worded like you posted) but I *think* I have it figured out, about to dump it here in a few. (y)

On "Display format" I am changing it to "Zone - CH / GID number "

RRR

Premium Subscriber
It seems it wants to display -either- the "Ch number (or) GID number" V/S the "CH / GID name" And not alternate it or otherwise show the radio's ID as well as the channel...?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Nerp, it merely displays " 1 - 1" and whatever channel talks, instead of the identity of the channel, it merely shows the channel number now.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sub-LCD display is only going to show you the number, not the channel name.

On the Optional Features 1 screen, Common Page 1 tab:
Set Display Format to CH/GID Name. That will give you the channel name on the screen. Make sure your channels are named the way you want on the Zone setting screen.

On the NXDN - General 1 screen, make sure you have "Over The Air Alias" box checked on all your radios. Make sure you have your Unit ID (Own) set. Make sure you Have your Unit ID Name (Own) set on all radios.
Set Group Call Display Type to Calling Transceiver ID/Group ID. That should alternate between channel name and caller ID.

If that's not working, I'd have to do some deeper digging. I'm working at home and don't have access to one of my radios right now. I do have conventional NXDN channels in use and I do have our radio set up to do this on the conventional channels.

Reactions: RRR

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
So this has been addressed before. During scan which is stopped on an active channel, the radio ID or alias pops up on the display. After the transmission quits the ID hangs on for several seconds, long after the scan resumes. You have no way to see the channel unless you set the scan dwell time longer than the ID display.

How long does your ID hang on? Older firmware of this radio was almost 10 seconds. I seem to remember that it could be changed with the mode reset timer but now I'm not sure.

I just tested my truck radio and the ID hang time is only about one second. With the scan dwell set at the default 3 seconds I get a couple of seconds of channel display before it changes back to the revert channel display. This is the only way I know of to get the information you need.
The firmware I have is 15.10.00 CB21. Not the latest but works for me.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Very informative, thank you both!

So how do you set the ID hang time? I can't find it in HELP topics

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Still can't get it to alternate with either of the settings afforded :(

I do appreciate the continued support. I enjoy learning

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
So how do you set the ID hang time?

Can't. Seems to be firmware dependent. Set your scan dwell time longer than the ID hang time and see if that works for you (albeit wayyy too slow). That would give us a starting point to see if your issue can be resolv ed.

I can see mmckenna's point that on a trunking system that the alternating group/UID is all you really need. For conventional use where there are several channels in a group it would be nice to alternate between UID AND group(zone) AND channel or just UID AND channel however neither of those options exist at the moment.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Yup. that's pretty much it.

Many thanks. I was hoping I had missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.