• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-720HG Scanning questions

BrIONwosh

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm using KPG-141DN and trying to program some truck radios for our local water utility. I am very wet behind the ears on this products, but I'm trying to learn.

We have NXDN conventional channels setup in 3 zones on the radio, with a 4th zone used to monitor NOAA weather radio frequencies. I would like to set a zone up to monitor fire department frequencies as well, but was wondering if there was a way to make a zone that automatically turns on scanning only with the radio set to that zone. So, you can select zones and channels in zones 1-4, but setting the radio to zone 5 automatically scans all frequencies in zone 5.

I also noticed that the zone ID persistently shows, even when changing channels within a zone. Is there a way to change this as well within KPG-141DN so that channel ID displays instead of the zone?

Thanks!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If I understand you correctly, no scan in zone 1 to 4 and in zone 5 it pops into scan for all channels in that zone only.
There is no auto scan per zone, the only auto scan is enabled on power up.

Try this. In zones 1 to 4 uncheck scan add for all channels under Channel Edit. If you have buttons programmed for scan and add/delete get rid of them. In the scan tab select Scan Type as single, check Power-on Scan, set Revert CG/GID to selected. If you wish set Priority to selected and Off-hook Scan, Revert CH/GID Display to your liking. Once programmed you not be able to change this on the fly.

If your zone name stays on the display and won't go away you have the Zone-name Text Length set too high. Try none. Checking the Zone Name Display box will show the zone momentarily as you change it then revert to the channel name.

BrIONwosh

Thanks for the reply! I read this and immediately went a programmed a test radio. All of that works amazingly, so thanks for all of the suggestions. The channel zone thing being the big head scratcher whenever I was trying to figure it out. I'll be doing some tweaking on operation to fit our application but I sincerely appreciate the knowledge sharing! Some of the settings in the program seem to me to be not very intuitive.