• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX5000 Analog TX Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

R22Beta

The other day several of my friends were using our radios. 2 of us had NX5000s and one was using a Yaesu (We were using the Ham bands).

We were running in analog obviously so we could talk to the Yaesu.

The 2 NX5000s could hear each other just fine, but with the Yaesu both NX5000s sounded under-modulated. It was quite difficult to hear us on it. I tried it at home with another analog ham radio and had the same issue.

To make this more complicated it seems like the problem only occurs when we are using a Push to talk with Peltor Comtac headsets. We each have a different amplified PTT since the impedance on Comtacs are different than non-military headsets. Again the NX5000s can hear each other while using the Peltors, but not the Yaesu or other ham radios (at least not clearly)

Any ideas why only NX5000s could hear each other clearly on analog, but other radios can't? Both NX5000s are using the same codeplug.

*I suspect that the PTTs are not correctly tuned for the impedance mismatch and that the NX5000s have some circuit that is amplifying the weak received signal. I tried turning on and off the RX and TX AGC, but that did not seem to make a difference.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Gotta ask...
Are you running wide FM on the ham bands, or narrow?

There are mic gain adjustments you can make in KPG-D1N. But the fact that both 5K's can hear each other just fine and you sound under deviated on the Yaesu, sort of suggests it's the bandwidth.

R22Beta

Gotta ask...
Are you running wide FM on the ham bands, or narrow?

There are mic gain adjustments you can make in KPG-D1N. But the fact that both 5K's can hear each other just fine and you sound under deviated on the Yaesu, sort of suggests it's the bandwidth.

I didn't even think of that. Yes I am using narrow FM. I will try adjusting the bandwidth. Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I didn't even think of that. Yes I am using narrow FM. I will try adjusting the bandwidth. Thanks!

Cool, that's an easy fix!
If it's still off a bit, there is a mic sensitivity adjustment, but I can't recall where it is. With Kenwood's lock down on software, I've only got it on a laptop at work, not here at home.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
As Mike said you can adjust the mic gain up and down, in the FPU it is under "Audio Profile" (make sure you adjust the profile you have selected in Optional Feature) and you can also add it to the menu so you can adjust it on the fly for both the local mic and external mic. I also have my radios set to change the audio profile from the menu.

Jim

R22Beta

So I tried adjusting the FM bandwidth, but that did not help.

I also adjusted the "External Microphone Sense [db]" to +20 under Audio Profiles in KPG-D1N. That also did not help.

Does anybody know if changing the Microphone Type under Audio Profiles would increase the gain of the external mic? I might go through and try them one at a time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So I tried adjusting the FM bandwidth, but that did not help.

OK, if you were running wide, you should be OK. Not sure which Yaesu radios they were using, and not sure if they'll do narrow band, but make sure they are set correctly.

I also adjusted the "External Microphone Sense [db]" to +20 under Audio Profiles in KPG-D1N. That also did not help.

"External Microphone" is for a mic connected to the rear DB-25 connector on the mobile. For a portable the "External Microphone" would be a speaker mic connected to the 14 pin side connector.

For the built in mic on the portable, or the microphone plugged into the front of the mobile, the "Microphone Sense" is the one you want to adjust.

Does anybody know if changing the Microphone Type under Audio Profiles would increase the gain of the external mic? I might go through and try them one at a time.

It sets the radio to use the type of mic connected. It sets the radio for the specific audio characteristics of the connected microphone. It probably does some slight adjustment to gain, and you could give it a try, but that's not what it's for.

As KK6ZTE asked, it would be extremely helpful if you gave us some specifics about the -exact- radio you are using and the -exact- microphone you are using. And just so we are 100% clear, you are running Analog, right?

I'd also not rule out an issue with the Yaesu's.

Also… If you are running some sort of after market/Chinese microphone, all bets are off. Proper technique, as in talking the appropriate distance from the mic is important also.

You can also go in and put a lot of these audio option settings into the menu and adjust them on the fly until you find one that works. Not sure if you are doing that or not, but it can save you a lot of time rather than waiting on KPG-D1N...

R22Beta

Thanks for the replys. The radios are portable VHF radios (NX5200 I think)

The headsets with the mics are 3M Peltor Comtacs with military impedance. One of the radios is using a Chinese amplified adaptor (Skyeye Tactical). The other is using an American made (SRS tactical) adapter. Both radios have the same issues when using the comtacs.

We have tried several other analog radios and they all have the same issues. When the 2 Kenwoods talk to each other on Digital there is no issue. I'm thinking maybe that is due to the radios ability to get weak signals and amplify them to sound correctly.

I do have all the audio profile stuff enabled on the menu. We tried cranking those all to +10dB as well.

I'm suspecting the issue is related to the adaptor cables, but we have 2 of them by different manufacturers so I'm not 100% sure I guess.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
We have tried several other analog radios and they all have the same issues. When the 2 Kenwoods talk to each other on Digital there is no issue. I'm thinking maybe that is due to the radios ability to get weak signals and amplify them to sound correctly.

Likely the TX and RX AGC's are active and taking care of the issue.

I'm suspecting the issue is related to the adaptor cables, but we have 2 of them by different manufacturers so I'm not 100% sure I guess.

Uh, yeah, if they are not the right impedance, it's going to screw up the levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.