• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX5000 pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

Trying to understand how the NX5000 is priced. If I want P25, DMR and software, how much is this going to cost me for the full keypad FPP version?

Also, will the 380 to 470 go past 470 for UHF T-Band reception?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The base NX-5300K6, 380MHz to 470MHz which includes analog and NXDN + type C trunking is $875 LIST price.

Additional features are licensed. List prices shown, with some work, you can bring the pricing down.
FPP license is $300 list.
P25 conventional adds $575.00 list.
P25 Phase 1 Trunking requires the P25 conventional licenses and adds $520 list.
P25 Phase 2 Trunking requires P25 conventional + P25 Phase 1 and adds $400 list.
DMR Tier 2 license is $60 list.
There are some requirements regarding the number of modes you can have. I know you cannot have NXDN, P25 and DMR at this time. You can run two, so you can have NXDN + P25 -OR- NXDN + DMR -OR- NXDN + DMR. You cannot have NXDN + P25 + DMR in the radio at the same time.

I do not know how high you can stretch the K6 model up past 470MHz. Kenwood specifically makes the K3 model for 450MHz to 520MHz for T-band users. I wouldn't rely on getting the K6 up much past 470.

Last edited:

evfd1625

The base NX-5300K6, 380MHz to 470MHz which includes analog and NXDN + type C trunking is $875 LIST price.

Additional features are licensed. List prices shown, with some work, you can bring the pricing down.
FPP license is $300 list.
P25 conventional adds $575.00 list.
P25 Phase 1 Trunking requires the P25 conventional licenses and adds $520 list.
P25 Phase 2 Trunking requires P25 conventional + P25 Phase 1 and adds $400 list.
DMR Tier 2 license is $60 list.
There are some requirements regarding the number of modes you can have. I know you cannot have NXDN, P25 and DMR at this time. You can run two, so you can have NXDN + P25 -OR- NXDN + DMR -OR- NXDN + DMR. You cannot have NXDN + P25 + DMR in the radio at the same time.

I do not know how high you can stretch the K6 model up past 470MHz. Kenwood specifically makes the K3 model for 450MHz to 520MHz for T-band users. I wouldn't rely on getting the K6 up much past 470.
Any idea if there is dual band NX series radio that can do P25 in 7/800 and NXDN in VHF or the various combinations of the above that might be in the works?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Any idea if there is dual band NX series radio that can do P25 in 7/800 and NXDN in VHF or the various combinations of the above that might be in the works?

I don't believe there is any kind of Kenwood dual-band handheld currently available, in NX or other platforms in the commercial (non-ham) tier. Wish there was, 'cause it would make my life easier (needing 700 but wanting to pair it with my agency's existing UHF system).

The mobile radios do multi-band by connecting various RF decks to a single control head. Last time I got a quote for those, they got pretty pricey once you started adding bands - not as high as some other manufacturers (lookingatyouMotorola), but still costing a fair bit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Not yet.

EF Johnson VP900 would be close.
Since Kenwood and EFJ are now the same company, there could be some changes coming. The VP900 will do VHF & 700/800MHz OR UHF & 700/800MHz. Won't do NXDN, but since the vocoder is the same it's always a possibility. As it stands now, the VP900 will do analog and P25.

I've asked my Kenwood rep a few times about this. He says Kenwood is well aware of the market demands. Merging with EFJ was a step to fill in some product gaps. Likely more products will be coming.
EFJ is selling a model of the NX5000 with analog, P25 and P16. That's because of the license with Motorola for the P16 trunking.

I've seen a few roadmaps for the product lines, but nothing indicating a 3 band radio yet.

As for the NX5x00 mobiles, reliable rumors (sort of like alternate facts???) of a higher power RF deck and maybe a low band deck in the near future. We'll likely see some new products around the end of March at IWCE.
One product I know is coming is the NX-3000. A mid tier version of the NX5000

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
mmckenna: P16 as in SmartZone?

Yeah. EF Johnson licensed the SmartZone/SmartNet from Motorola years ago. It was a way to let agencies do some level of competitive bidding.
I had EFJ 7780's and 5100's on my old SmartNet system years ago. The 7780's were a bit weak, but the 5100's were good radios, just a bit big.

I guess EF J kept the license to use the SN/SZ when they joined with Kenwood.

Colton25

You say NX-3000 being mid tier, do you mean just less features with same appearance?

Not yet.

EF Johnson VP900 would be close.

Since Kenwood and EFJ are now the same company, there could be some changes coming. The VP900 will do VHF & 700/800MHz OR UHF & 700/800MHz. Won't do NXDN, but since the vocoder is the same it's always a possibility. As it stands now, the VP900 will do analog and P25.

I've asked my Kenwood rep a few times about this. He says Kenwood is well aware of the market demands. Merging with EFJ was a step to fill in some product gaps. Likely more products will be coming.

EFJ is selling a model of the NX5000 with analog, P25 and P16. That's because of the license with Motorola for the P16 trunking.

I've seen a few roadmaps for the product lines, but nothing indicating a 3 band radio yet.

As for the NX5x00 mobiles, reliable rumors (sort of like alternate facts???) of a higher power RF deck and maybe a low band deck in the near future. We'll likely see some new products around the end of March at IWCE.

One product I know is coming is the NX-3000. A mid tier version of the NX5000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You say NX-3000 being mid tier, do you mean just less features with same appearance?

I haven't seen it yet.
Usually their difference between high tier and mid tier would be less features, maybe smaller display, smaller frame.
I suspect it isn't going to have all the features like 4000 channels, SD card, etc.

Colton25

Is it or will it be possible in the future to modify a limited keypad model to make it full keypad or vise versa? I know this can be done with Kenwood's 2180/3180. I can't decide if i want limited or full keypad.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know. I'm sure you can buy the parts and do it.

I carry an NX-410 every day at work. I've got a TK-5210 portable. Both have full keypads. I've never used the full keypad on the NX-410. The only time I use the full keypad on the TK-5210 is when I'm doing FPP, but it's not necessary.

One issue I've found with the NX-410's is that the keypad buttons are not well recessed. It's pretty easy to accidentally bump the keys. Not sure if the NX-5000 is any better, I've only used one a few times. What I found was that I had to put a keypad lock function on all 300 portables we have to stop users from accidentally switching zones.

You'd save about $50 on the limited keypad model. If you have plans to use the keypad, get it now, it'll be cheaper than doing the modification later. If you don't plan on using it, I'd consider skipping it.

I don't run autopatch at work, so this is not an issue for us. I know some amateurs really like it. Really depends on what you need.

Colton25

I have full keypad on my 5200 fire radio. Made the mistake when I added tactical feature set to my 2180 that had the limited keypad. Turns out the tactical feature set is essentially useless if you don't have a full keypad. So to avoid going through that again I went with full keypad due to the potential of getting FPP in the future to be use on fires. My plan now is to get a 5300 for my EMS job, just don't see what I would use the full keypad for (as of now). Anyways as always thanks for the input.

I don't know. I'm sure you can buy the parts and do it.

I carry an NX-410 every day at work. I've got a TK-5210 portable. Both have full keypads. I've never used the full keypad on the NX-410. The only time I use the full keypad on the TK-5210 is when I'm doing FPP, but it's not necessary.

One issue I've found with the NX-410's is that the keypad buttons are not well recessed. It's pretty easy to accidentally bump the keys. Not sure if the NX-5000 is any better, I've only used one a few times. What I found was that I had to put a keypad lock function on all 300 portables we have to stop users from accidentally switching zones.

You'd save about $50 on the limited keypad model. If you have plans to use the keypad, get it now, it'll be cheaper than doing the modification later. If you don't plan on using it, I'd consider skipping it.

I don't run autopatch at work, so this is not an issue for us. I know some amateurs really like it. Really depends on what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.