• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX5200 DMR question

jcefd10

WWG1WGA
Premium Subscriber
Copied this from my post on the NX5XX FB group, figured I'd ask here too.

I have a DMR question. I'm loading 2 channels in a pair of NX5200's for a neighboring FD. THey are DMR channels that are encrypted, and I have loaded the enhanced encryption key in both radios, and have the key entered into the list, etc. I've had success doing this before, but this time the DMR agency claims they can hear the traffic coming from the NX radio, but the NX cannot hear the traffic from the Moto's. Is there something specific I have to look for? I have the Talkgroups correct, have double checked the Slot, CC, and both RX an TX freq to make sure I have everything correct. What am I missing?
Thanks in advance

jcefd10

WWG1WGA
Premium Subscriber
Yes, as far as I know. I programmed them exactly what Moto printed out. They’ve given me 2 sheets with the channel data and mine matches to the T.

Now, speaking of ID, these 2 radios wouldn’t need a specific Unit ID for some reason would they?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Yes, as far as I know. I programmed them exactly what Moto printed out. They’ve given me 2 sheets with the channel data and mine matches to the T.

Now, speaking of ID, these 2 radios wouldn’t need a specific Unit ID for some reason would they?
Each subscriber needs a unique radio ID.

Can the MSI radios hear each other?

ETA…I’m guessing the MSI radios can hear each other. Should have asked if the Kenwoods hear each other.

Last edited:

jcefd10

WWG1WGA
Premium Subscriber
Ive turned them back over to the owner. I live
Too far away from the repeaters to be able to do any testing. I only was able to hit it once.
He should be able to tell me tomorrow if it worked or not.

jcefd10

WWG1WGA
Premium Subscriber
So he says they still dont work.
Each KW radio had a unique id, I have the key loaded properly, the TG right, and even de-selected the dual slot direct mode. The Motos can still hear the KWs but KW cannot hear Moto.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
DMR Encryption Type set to 1 or 2? Groups ID Scan checked? OVCM?
Is OTA Alias used?

Those are the things that have tripped me up before. I have no issues between Moto and Kenwood DMR, simplex.

jcefd10

WWG1WGA
Premium Subscriber
I have no OTA Alias,
Encryption is set as DMR, the Enc Key, Key ID of 1 (this may be wrong)

I do not have Group ID Scan checked.
I have the Encryption type set as Type 1 currently. Which upon reading, it says the radio runs in Type 1 even if Type 2 is selected when using Enhanced Encryption.

OVCM, I'm not sure. I'm still hunting that setting.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
The bandwidth and timing is very tight and unforgiving in KW. With mmdvm based repeaters I’ve had the exact same experience with DMR & P25 (not set up right) but not with a Moto repeater. The Moto subscriber units have much more tolerance on pulse width in particular. I don’t know what repeater if any that you are using. I would want to know if repeater is properly aligned. If direct, msdm is touchy—I never use it because of reliability issues.
Main takeaway is that Motorola radios will tolerate out of spec signals much better than Kenwood. My opinion is KW is too tight for the real world.