• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX5600 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I havent dealt much with the NX5600, however the FD that I work for still uses low band pretty regularly, in conjunction with UHF.
Will the NX5600 go down to 33mhz? I know sometimes you can get radios a little lower than they advertise.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That would be quite a stretch from the current 39MHz lower limit.
Software would error out, but might take the frequency (haven't tried this, I'm using all VHF and 7/800 models and don't need to take them out of band). Probably going that far out would require retuning.

And then there's the whole type certification issue taking them outside their design specs.

What drove Kenwood to release the 5600 was the California Highway Patrol agreeing to buy a few thousand of them. Not sure they see much of a market elsewhere and I haven't heard any plans for htem to release a lower bandsplit version. With the end of the TK-6110 radio, it's getting really hard to find low band gear.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
That would be quite a stretch from the current 39MHz lower limit.
Software would error out, but might take the frequency (haven't tried this, I'm using all VHF and 7/800 models and don't need to take them out of band). Probably going that far out would require retuning.

And then there's the whole type certification issue taking them outside their design specs.

What drove Kenwood to release the 5600 was the California Highway Patrol agreeing to buy a few thousand of them. Not sure they see much of a market elsewhere and I haven't heard any plans for htem to release a lower bandsplit version. With the end of the TK-6110 radio, it's getting really hard to find low band gear.

Thats the problem we are running into, cant really get anything new, all of our low band channels are 33mhz, we have a mix of radius mobiles, CDM1250, vertex, and kenwoods.
We use a combination of UHF and Low band, I figured it might be cool if we were able to do a dual deck single head setup with the uhf and low band but thatd require that radio to get down to 33 obviously. we might be SOL

RussH

We're having the same problem in my County as well, as I still have a few agencies that are utterly dependent on their existing low-band systems. I have to laugh every time they reach out to me looking for a replacement portable. The best I can tell them is to try their luck on flea-bay and take their chances. Thankfully, the existing TK-690s are pretty rock-solid.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
in response to the question of going down that far, Kenwood emailed me back, and the software will not allow it to "slide" to 33 MHz.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
We're having the same problem in my County as well, as I still have a few agencies that are utterly dependent on their existing low-band systems. I have to laugh every time they reach out to me looking for a replacement portable. The best I can tell them is to try their luck on flea-bay and take their chances. Thankfully, the existing TK-690s are pretty rock-solid.

Even the classic ball-and-spring mounts are NLA from Motorola and from PCTEL. It's getting rough supporting low band.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Status
Not open for further replies.