• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX700 High and low power toggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9905

Hello. I am trying to program a button to "high transmit power" but when I select that and push that button it does nothing. Then I noticed in the description it what high transmit power does it says

In the NXDN Trunking system, toggles the Transmit Power of the transceiver between High and Low if Low is configured for Transmit Power.
In the NXDN Trunking system, toggles the Transmit Power of the transceiver between Auto and High if Auto is configured for Transmit Power.
This function cannot be used in any system other than the NXDN Trunking system.

Is there really no way to toggle between high and low on FM? That just seems odd to me that they limited that to NXDN. I want to mostly run low but want to be able to use high power if needed.

Thanks

Kevin

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Nope. Your options are to do one of the following:
1. Set your channels to low power by default, and manually kick them over to high.
2. Program the channels you need as low power and high power.

I know, not what you want, but these sorts of commercial radios are not so much designed for amateur/hobby use. The idea is that the guy programming the radio sets them to whats 'best' and not let the end user mess with it.
Some other/older/different brands will let you toggle power levels, but not these.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That just seems odd to me that they limited that to NXDN.

The reason the "auto" works on the trunked system is because the radio can look at the received signal strength on the control channel and extrapolate what transmit power to use. On a non-trunked system, there's not control channel to watch.

kb9905

Thanks for the explanation.

Option 1 of low power and kick it to high if needed. How? Pretty sure I tried that, set a channel to low and then pushed the button I assigned as high transmitter power and it didn't change it. Or should I be looking for some other button assignment? Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

No, actually I was wrong. Had to refresh my memory. The set all channels to low and then use the "high power" button only works on the portables, not the mobiles.
So you'd need to program each channel in as low power and high power.

Sorry, been a long day.

Status
Not open for further replies.