NXDN 4800 Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeppelin11

Not sure if this is the correct place to post my questions or not. My county police Fire and ems switched from analog to NXDN 4800 conventional Digital a few years back and I'm looking into getting the Uniden BCD436HP radio but i believe the system i want to monitor is simulcast im 90% sure it is considering my county is a very rural county and it would just make sense that it was simulcast but i would like if someone could chime in and give a definite answer. Also i read that the 436 is not good with scanning simulcast systems. But i noticed that the frequency i listen to is not listed on every tower theres no same frequency throughout the towers. EMS and Fire frequency is 154.347.500 and i will hear the same call at the same time but on a completely different frequency. I have been using an RTL SDR Dongle with SDR sharp and DSD+ With no issues and i don't miss any side of the conversation which makes me think there wouldn't be an issue with the 436 scanning this system but i also plan on putting my own antenna about 40' in the air. My county says that the system is trunked but i don't believe it is trunked anymore if it even was at all. I'll leave links below to the county im monitoring and i appreciate all feedback.

I use this frequency search tool navigate to quick import and select separate trunked frequencies which then tells me there is no trunked NXDN frequencies in my county.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
But i noticed that the frequency i listen to is not listed on every tower theres no same frequency throughout the towers.

Then it's not simulcast. Simulcast is when they are transmitting the same thing on the same frequency from multiple sites.

They are using a site voting system, radio looks for the strongest signal and uses that site.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi zeppelin11, I think this is your new system that you are looking at:

One note of caution. There is no talkgroup information yet for this system so none of us can advise whether or not any or all of the talkgroups are encrypted. You might want to have this thread moved to the State of Florida forums to see if anybody there has any better information on the new system. Of course, anything that is encrypted cannot be decoded by a scanner. I just don't want you to be surprised by that in case that is what you were to find when you get a new scanner up and running.

zeppelin11

I
Hi zeppelin11, I think this is your new system that you are looking at:

One note of caution. There is no talkgroup information yet for this system so none of us can advise whether or not any or all of the talkgroups are encrypted. You might want to have this thread moved to the State of Florida forums to see if anybody there has any better information on the new system. Of course, anything that is encrypted cannot be decoded by a scanner. I just don't want you to be surprised by that in case that is what you were to find when you get a new scanner up and running.
I have been using an RTL SDR Dongle with SDR sharp and DSD+ for about a month now. I first started scanning this county back in 2012 when they were still on an analog system once they switched to digital back in 2017 or 18 my analog radio became useless and the price of a digital radio needed for my county plus upgrades has kept me from getting one. I came acrosss this software based scanner after searching for other solutions which Is a pain to get setup but it is useful. I have the TGID radio id etc from DSD+ and thankfully they did not encrypt their channels after going digital. Thank you very much for your feedback!

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> I came acrosss this software based scanner after searching for other solutions which Is a pain to get setup but it is useful. I have the TGID radio id etc from DSD+ and thankfully they did not encrypt their channels after going digital.
If you have information on the Dixie County Emergency Services System Talkgroups, you could really help out Radio Reference by providing them with what you know. You can submit anything that you have at the webpage below:

Thank you very much for your feedback!
You are certainly welcome!

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Living in the big city of Mayo, FL here, and as far as I can tell its just a single voice channel, there doesn't appear to be any sort of trunking. Then again, I am a bit far away, so its only ever decent when at night time when there isn't much talking on there. Also, I've got 155.085 as well, which I think dispatch says Cross City on, so I assume that's some sort of Fire/Rescue dispatch there as well. I could be wrong though, since its a bit distant and faint, that I've heard Cross City, and not Lake City or something, since I'm about the same distance away. Hope that tidbit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.