NXDN and Public Safety in KY

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I was poking around in the database and I noticed that many counties in Kentucky use NXDN for their public safety communications. It seems to occur in both conventional and trunked applications. It seems highly unusual for LEAs to use such standard, at least out west where I am. Is there a specific reason why it is fairly common in this state but not others?

Your inquiry is appreciated

ramblin82

I'm just across the Ohio river from Kentucky and my towns police dept went to a NXDN system. I'm really not sure why they did as I think NXDN is more suited for businesses. I would have preferred they switch to P25, but I guess NXDN was cheaper for them.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I took a 500+ mile drive across Kentucky yesterday and noticed several law enforcement as well as a few fire departments using both NXDN and DMR.

As many have already said, it's likely a matter of money. Many small departments can't afford the P25 equipment. NXDN and DMR give them the same basic features at a far better price point.

alky1234

Ø
Feed Provider
There are several large Kenwood dealers that push NXDN in the state... They also usually push it's built in encryption.... Ultimately, this creates an interoperability nightmare in my opinion... Hoping the new KSP P25 system helps change some of this...

BC2001

Jesse
I was actually surprised, albeit glad, that Clay County Sheriff didn't encrypt when they switched to NXDN digital.

Well atleast last time I checked early this year.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think its all about the cost. Jefferson County schools uses NXDN in their buses and the selling point was how less expensive it was.

KG4EMJ

Yeah I think the big dealer here has been pushing it hard, because a lot of counties in and around me went to NXDN at about the same time.

My county encrypted the law channels and left the fire and EMS channels open. At least for now.

kib669

There are several large Kenwood dealers that push NXDN in the state... They also usually push it's built in encryption.... Ultimately, this creates an interoperability nightmare in my opinion... Hoping the new KSP P25 system helps change some of this...
Interoperability has very little to do with P25/NXDN/DMR. The biggest thing about interoperability is training. If you don't have a plan and train on how to implement it, the technology does not matter. The KY interoperability plan is all analog and don't see that changing with the new state system. Very few agencies are on 700/800, so it does not matter what modulation you use, if you are on VHF or UHF you cannot talk.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
In Bullitt County just south of Metro Louisville, several city police departments were convinced to go NXDN for their private channels even while the county was negotiating with Metro to create a subdivision of their P25 system. Now that they are active on the MetroSafe system, at least one city is using the NXDN for their public works now. As others have said, Kenwood is pushed hard by several dealers in Louisville and Lexington. When on VHF, Kenwood was the cheapest option for a radio for most of the agencies so it just made sense to stick with NXDN when looking for a secure private channel for the agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.