NXDN at BNSF barstow yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

djgrooven

Bnsf Rwy at the barstow yard has made the NXDN transition. Here is an audio sample from the car inspector train yard repeater. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldl2jypoitdbhjf/Car Dept NXDN.m4a.

Seems like some bugs need to tuned being it's an ip over radio system. Further testing is being done at other mechanical depts. I will keep posted when they go live.

I should have included the r/f's. Tx is AAR ch 469(161.430) and Rx is AAR ch 331(160.395) with a ran of 1

Josh

or simply buy and program an NXDN radio, it's not as complicated or illegal as trying to hack into a trunked radio system. Software isn't too bad either, <$80

slapshot0017

Is there anyway you can post this on youtube or change the file format so we who don't have m4a capable programs can hear it? I am so excited they are starting to move over to digital.

Josh

These audio samples are pretty good. As I was saying before, I think NXDN repeaters for yard ops will start becoming more popular. I'm out east, and as an example, Conrail has repeaters set up in New Jersey that are NXDN, and are setting up a couple systems around Detroit slated for cutover either this year or next year for car departments and switching. In my situation in the east, there will be an analog link for locomotives to be in the loop, so NXDN radios won't be required to listen in yet.

For their relatively low cost compared to Apco/P25 police radios, NXDN stuff is relatively inexpensive. I think it would be in the best interest of the railroad scanner enthusiast to invest in any of Kenwood or iCom's offerings to keep up.

Thanks for sharing the audio samples, my dad and I have been experimenting with NXDN since around 2010 when word first broke about the narrowbanding and NXDN choice for conversion. Not a whole lot has happened since then, but splinter AAR channels, narrowbanding, and now digital conversion was well worth the investment!

slapshot0017

Anyone have any idea which railroads picked up what brand of radio? I know Amtrak and New Jersey Transit have ICOM... I more of a Kenwood guy and was wondering if any of the other Class 1's were following that path.

slapshot0017

I know that, but why I am asking is that if there is a good mix of both companies throughout then there will be no way of trunking and we will always be able to listen.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
For their relatively low cost compared to Apco/P25 police radios, NXDN stuff is relatively inexpensive. I think it would be in the best interest of the railroad scanner enthusiast to invest in any of Kenwood or iCom's offerings to keep up.

Where are they low cost? I just looked up the nx210 and did not find it below $700. Other sites won't display the price, which makes me think they are not so low cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.