• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NXDN audio settings for you clever guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillmobile

Hi, i have been reading up in the help files of kpg-111d and i wanted to ask you chaps what settings you use, now as i write this i am unsure what firmware is in the radios (nx-300) so i will have to check, but for example low cut on or off, etc..

Noise suppressor on/off, audio equalizer.

I am all for playing but just thought i would ask.

Thanks in advance Phill, UK.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Couple of things. First any audio profile needs to be the same in all the radios. You can get some really lousy sounding radios with mismatched adjustments, more so than any setting where all radios match.

Second, I shy away from using any AGC (analog or digital). In my opinion it creates more problems than what you think it will solve. For low transmit audio my simple solution is just to have the user speak up. It's got to be a special situation before I enable it.

The rest of the audio shaping parameters are up to you. Everybody has a different opinion on what sounds good to them. I will mention that the lower audio frequencies are where most of the unintelligible non-voice grunge lives so I tend to enhance the treble to try and make a more "crisp" sound. With that said, here is what is in a customers archive that we have done extensive testing to their satisfaction.

RECEIVE
Low cut = checked
Audio gain control = off
Audio equalizer = flat

TRANSMIT
Noise suppressor = checked
Audio gain control = off
Audio equalizer = high boost.

Last edited:

phillmobile

Hi Ramal thank you for your advice, for sure your right with the "get the user to speak in to the mic" bit thats my biggest issue with any radio.

I am going to play this afternoon, i had noted that the audio sounded better through the repeater than simplex and will try your settings soon, many thanks again.

Phill, UK.

jrw14493

I would agree with ramal's settings and reasoning.

I've had pretty good luck with "flat" on both sides, rather than just the TX side. To my way of thinking, that way you're not boosting the high or the low and it's just the user's natural voice. We've also noticed a difference in radios too. The NX-820's sound better than the NX-800's.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I would agree with ramal's settings and reasoning.

I've had pretty good luck with "flat" on both sides, rather than just the TX side. To my way of thinking, that way you're not boosting the high or the low and it's just the user's natural voice. We've also noticed a difference in radios too. The NX-820's sound better than the NX-800's.
Just remember there is no end all be all setting, you'll need tailor it to specific application. Narrowing the audio pass to the center seems to work better for an industrial environment where background noise is at a high level. I have no problem with that at all. In a quiet office setting a "fuller" sound might be more pleasing to some people.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.