NXDN(C) and NXDN(D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
It has been said that c is conventional and d is trunking but I have no way to test that.

I don't think that's accurate because we only get the choice under trunked systems. EZScan help file talks a little about it but somebody posted more info about it already earlier.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As stated above, NXDN C trunking uses a dedicated control channel, similar to the Motorola SmartNet/SmartZone systems where one channel is constantly running control channel data.
-for the purists, there is a "non-dedicated" control channel option that allows a control channel to halt data transmission and run as a traffic channel when the system needs it, but it's still a dedicated control channel. Also, it's possible that the control channel can switch to a different channel, usually once every 24 hours.

NXDN D trunking is the "LTR" like trunking system, where there is a "home" channel, etc.

There is some good information over here: NXDN Forum Website

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks now I know
would c be like a local system
and d be like an IP system

No.

Originally Icom was running Type D under their IDAS name.
Kenwood runs Type C under the NexEdge name.

I've set up my NexEdge system at work from scratch, but I've never touched an IDAS system. From what I've read, NexEdge is a bit more friendly to wide area systems, although IDAS will do it too.
The systems (at least the NexEdge) can be scaled quite large, even linking multiple large systems using a bridge.

troymail

Silent Key
I think the most noticeable difference between Type C and Type D are the talkgroup and radio IDs --

Type C seem to show up as typical decimal values like 1, 30, etc.

Type D seem t show up in a different format - like 01-0001, etc

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The scanner doesn't trunk track, so why it matters...??? My guess is so your pretty scanner software matches the pretty RR database. Likely no functional difference. The scanner doesn't trunk track either way, and, if it did, it should be able to figure out what's what without being told specifically.

One might also ask which DMR color code works best for NXDN. Anyone know?

Or the fact that the narrow EZ Scan setting is equivalent to wideband NXDN.

I hope people will stopped getting bogged down with meaningless settings. I agree that it is misleading: If a setting exist, it must matter and change some function. Right? No, probably, it does not.

The one thing that has been established is that the baud rate setting does matter. I suppose this forces the DSP/vocoder for that specific data rate. I'd leave it on auto; no reason to miss things because of that.

troymail

Silent Key
Like Eric said, EZ Scan sees them all as the same talkgroup -- 00-0000 so there is only talkgroup object. I'd delete that single "wildcard" entry and then create a real wildcard object.

I'll assume there was some kind of RRDB issue that resulted in all of the TGIDs being zeros - given there are a bunch of real talkgroups listed - I don't think the DB admins would accept submission data like that.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.