NXDN Data Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr4k

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else used the capability of the Kenwood NXDN radios in 6.25 kHz for text exchange or broadcast? If so, how are you using it?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I mentioned before, I'm not aware of any Kenwood amateur service handhelds or mobiles that are NXDN capable....73 Mike

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
As I mentioned before, I'm not aware of any Kenwood amateur service handhelds or mobiles that are NXDN capable....73 Mike
So you're saying only amateur equipment can be used to transmit data transmissions on the amateur bands? Sure seems like it. His thread is on-topic if that's what you dispute.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hardly. I mentioned this since this is an amateur radio forum - I suspect the OT is talking about capabilities of a commercial radio. I do know of ham repeaters that are using NXDN but most likely they would be using commercial gear to do this

Mike

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
I also must say-- I am not aware of any amateur radios that do this--- just wanted to up my posts also--
No i looked at the post as i too am curious as to the data capabilities and how it is implemented.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm also wondering whether 'text exchange or broadcast' would even be legal, given the restrictions in Part 97 regarding codes and ciphers. If I remember correctly the rules say something along the lines of only the use of publicly accessible encoding is permitted - I don't have a copy handy while I'm at work...

best regards..Mike

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
I'm also wondering whether 'text exchange or broadcast' would even be legal, given the restrictions in Part 97 regarding codes and ciphers. If I remember correctly the rules say something along the lines of only the use of publicly accessible encoding is permitted - I don't have a copy handy while I'm at work...

best regards..Mike

Are you kidding--we would still have( am)- without experimenters, what about packet-psk31-aprs-- that was not publicly accessible when they first tried it-- i think comm radios -would meet your publicly accessible--- but it is not codes and ciphers. Please reread the first thread-- HE WANTS TO USE DATA MODE FOR TEXT--NOT MAKE AN UNDECIPHERABLE CODE---- Besides the FCC embraces those with the knowledge to come up with a better or newer mode if that had been the question. I too would like to see if anyone is doing that and how??

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well let's back up a minute. PSK31 was developed by a British ham by the name of Peter Martiniez (sp?) who then published the protocols so that other developers could develop software and other means of decoding and transmitting it. Amateur packet radio (AX.25) is largely derived from the then-popular X.25 switching protocol, and was later picked up and marketed by numerous manufacturers such as Kenwood and AEA. APRS was later developed by Bob Bruninga WB4APR and published those protocols for further development.

So to bring the thread back on topic - is there somewhere where the 'text exchange or broadcast' (as the OT described it) is publicly documented?

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
The post was on topic until Cliff clavern highjacked it,with know it all thoughts--Please--let someone just answer the question with out more wasteful ramblings.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Hardly. I mentioned this since this is an amateur radio forum - I suspect the OT is talking about capabilities of a commercial radio. I do know of ham repeaters that are using NXDN but most likely they would be using commercial gear to do this.
He is, but on the amateur bands. A lot of people use commercial equipment on amateur. I don't see a problem using NXDN data capabilities on amateur radio when we use various other features specific to commercial equipment.

All he wants to know is if anyone else uses it on the ham bands and what they're using it for. Makes sense to me.

phillmobile

best regards..Mike

D star is not publicly accessable but its used

stevelton

We are using it on our 440mhz IDAS system. Since anyone with a NXDN capable radio can receive the text also, its not a code or cipher intended to obscure the meaning or content of a message, per FCC part 97 rules.
Using the texting feature is a bit cumbersome, but if one person is out of their car, and the other one calls them on voice but they dont answer, and can send a text to leave a message that is flashing on their display to call when they get back to their radio. Also, If Im on the cell phone, and I dont want to interupt my call,then I send a text saying Im busy, they know Im there, and will get back to them when Im not busy.

Steven KC9GMX

Astro25

Has anyone else used the capability of the Kenwood NXDN radios in 6.25 kHz for text exchange or broadcast? If so, how are you using it?

I use it almost daily, yes. (I own a 440 NXDN repeater)

What do you mean by how am I using it? Just like a regular radio, I suppose

Many of us have the built in NXDN encryption turned on for simplex communications. But the texting part of it, any unit can receive so long as it's programmed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.