NXDN, DMR, etc. For Uniden SDS 200 ? (Sudbury, Mass.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have a Uniden SDS 200, and have been thinking a bit re getting one or more of the Uniden "updates" for it.
Live in Sudbury, Mass.

Would appreciate any opinion as to whether NXDN, DMR, and/or ProVoice is being used "much" in my area these days ?

In the near future ?
Updates work "well" ?

Any general thoughts on ? Shame they are so pricey.

Thanks,
Bob

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi there:
I have all 3 upgrades on my SDS100, they work as intended. As far as systems online, check your county's Radioreference database page to see if the modes are in use in your area. You can also go to the Radioreference database home page, scroll down to the bottom of the screen locating the "Retrieve System Reports" section. Select "DMR/TRBO Systems", "NXDN Systems", etc to bring up a report of systems in place nationwide. Massachusetts is on Page 10 of the DMR trunked report and Page 32 of the DMR conventional report when sorted by state (clicking "state" column heading). DMR is the most widely used mode of the 3 and Provoice the least used since it is technically at the end of its supported life. If you only wanted to get one of the three, I'd definitely go with DMR
Alternatively you can also visit Digital Frequency Search and view systems in place by state. Only problem with this site is it draws frequencies with DMR or NXDN emissions on their frequencies. Just because the emissions are there doesn't necessarily guarantee the agency is operating on that mode. Most times they are, but some cases not

Last edited:

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
Hello,

Have a Uniden SDS 200, and have been thinking a bit re getting one or more of the Uniden "updates" for it.
Live in Sudbury, Mass.

Would appreciate any opinion as to whether NXDN, DMR, and/or ProVoice is being used "much" in my area these days ?

In the near future ?
Updates work "well" ?

Any general thoughts on ? Shame they are so pricey.

Thanks,
Bob
Try the DMR First. There is the IC&E Industrial communications and Electronics DMR Chain of Systems in the state on 900 Mhz
Look and see if they are near Sudbury you can recieve. They pretty much have Buisness Traffic on them . There are Also Some DMR
Ham Repeaters along with some towns using DMR for thier local services. As for NXDN and Pro Voice its going to be what do you listen too.
There is not much in this area.

I dont own the SDS200 I have the 996P2 with the DMR upgrade. But its pretty much going t do the same thing.

Peter N1EXA

BOBRR

Hi,

Thanks.

BTW: anything special to incorporate it, (DMR), and to get running ?

Or, once downloaded, it simply becomes just another mode it decodes automatically ?

Regards, and thanks again,
Bob

KEWB-N1EXA

Hi,

Thanks.

BTW: anything special to incorporate it, (DMR), and to get running ?

Or, once downloaded, it simply becomes just another mode it decodes automatically ?

Regards, and thanks again,
Bob
On my 996P2 i loaded the latest firmware from Uniden then purchased the DMR license A day later I received a long code in an email.
Loaded that set of numbers and letters in and the DMR turned on ...It was easy to do.

When I want to monitor something like Eversource enter in the addition it askes me if its TRBO Trunk or signal channel DMR Trunk you enter the frequency and it will detect the Color Code and search the talk groups. I think it auto detects it as a conventional DMR frequency if you scan it.
I found it had more drop outs than entering it in as a Signal channel trunk. An example it the Bristol RI police on VHF it seems to decode better
if I enter it in as a signal channel trunk than detecting it in conventional mode.

Peter N1EXA

BOBRR

Hi,

New term for me:

What is a "signal channel trunk", please ?

Thanks for help with all of this,
Bob

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

New term for me:

What is a "signal channel trunk", please ?

Thanks for help with all of this,
Bob
I believe they mean "single" channel known as a "DMR one frequency" system in Uniden radios. You would create this type of system if you have one DMR frequency with one talkgroup assigned per slot. For example: 453.000, slot-1 would broadcast talkgroup 1 and slot-2 would broadcast talkgroup 2. The two talkgroups can never swap slots

KEWB-N1EXA

I believe they mean "single" channel known as a "DMR one frequency" system in Uniden radios. You would create this type of system if you have one DMR frequency with one talkgroup assigned per slot. For example: 453.000, slot-1 would broadcast talkgroup 1 and slot-2 would broadcast talkgroup 2. The two talkgroups can never swap slots
I have to say that explains it.
On the 996p2 to listen to Eversource select single channel trunk ANY slot ANY Color Code and Talk Group Search ...If it picks up any DMR
It will decode it...Seeing your not Transmitting leaving it open ended will decode the DMR traffic.

If i select Digital Conventional I find the 996P2 to be stopping on the DMR Beacon or Dead traffic way to much.

Peter N1EXA

KEWB-N1EXA

choices.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.