NXDN LCN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Is is common that LCN's change often for NXDN96 Sites?

It seems like every time I run LCN finder on my SDS200 the reported LCN numbers change. Some channels stay the same, sometimes only some of the LCNs are different and sometimes they all changes. This happens daily or even sometimes more than once per day. Either I'm crazy or Uniden's LCN finder is not so good at finding NXDN LCN's (or it uses some guessing algorithm and is not so good at guessing consistently).

I've been testing using Peak Wireless sites in the SLC area (South Mountain, Lark/Butterfield, Promontory Point...).

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
lcn should not change. maybe you are getting different sites hence duplicate lcn?

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I have seen many of the NXDN and DMR freqs with a strong signal and a weak signal on the same freq. Probably Utah County and Salt Lake County. Not sure if it is a wide area system with different LCNs or just shared freqs.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
With so many site close together, especially on peak wireless I can see this happening, especially the salt lake valley, if u are on a hill overlooking the city, peak wireless control channels rotate, so the control channel u hear one day could switch to a different frequency the next, but u could hear another site on that frequency , hence the different lcn, if the scanner is capable, make sure it’s seeing the desired site each time , it should let u know what site u are on

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
When I go up north to visit my brother , he’s a little higher up and it overlooks the city, I can pick up 4-5 different counties just at his house alone, so the idea of picking up several sites in the same frequency is not out of the question at all

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input. I too am wondering about site overlap. I always start by trying to match/group frequencies (using conventional search mode) to a specific RAN. Then I add all the found frequencies with the same RAN into a "system" and then search for the LCN's. Now I know that the LCN Finder feature probably doesn't care about RAN (or site I suppose) - perhaps it should - and I could be getting hits from several.

Peak is a very large system...so it's an (frustrating) adventure. Perhaps I should just call them and ask for the layout. lol.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
The RAN and the site number on Peak usually match, so like 451.675 it probably Utah county site 1 control channel, but shows up in the frequency list of other sites, if u are in line of site of any other sites broadcasting the control channel or even the voice channel, it would be very hard to get a correct LCN if you are near multiple Peak sites. Here in Price we only have 1 site broadcasting Cedar mountain in Emery county, the 451.675 and 452.100 alternate control channels each day, these are the only active frequencies on that site

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Here also Cedar Mountain site is 22 and so is the Ran, so usually I get my info from the ran, a friend of mine is on RR and has made an LCN list for Peak wireless, lists most of the LCN’s and the related frequencies

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Here also Cedar Mountain site is 22 and so is the Ran, so usually I get my info from the ran, a friend of mine is on RR and has made an LCN list for Peak wireless, lists most of the LCN’s and the related frequencies
Wow! You must have friends in high places and/or great friends! This is awesome information!! Thank-you and your friend for sharing!!! You made my day/week.

kd7rto

LCN's on a NEXEDGE system never change. The table is programmed into each radio, so changing the table would require reprogramming every single radio on the entire trunked network.

This is also the case with LTR. However with LTR, the table had a maximum of 20.

With NEXEDGE, I believe it's 1000 (I don't have the Kenwood software on the computer I'm using right now, so I can't open it up to verify). The idea when initially planning the system is to put every possible frequency that you might need into the table. Because once the first radios are handed out to subscribers, you're committed to it for the life of the system.

The table is individually planned, so don't expect Enos' spreadsheet for System 64 to work on any other.

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Quests dominion tier 3 dmr also has lcns but it uses 2 lcns per frequency
How would one then program in two frequencies...enter the frequency twice (one time for each LCN), or maybe create two different systems?

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I submit it to radioreference them download it from that, can't manually program 2 of the same frequency

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure, but I think that even after downloading from RR, one has to still take the LSN (Channel numbers) that was loaded (and then divide it by 2 (for the Questar-Dominion system at least) to get the actual LCN (for Uniden Scanners).

For example, when I download Farnsworth Peak Site data for this system it loads 10 frequencies (5 are duplicates)

856.412500 655 CC 5
856.412500 656 CC 5

But to get my scanner to receive properly (I use an SDS200), I have to divide the channel number and round down (for odd numbers)

so for 856.412500 the actual LCN's becomes 327 & 328 respectively...

I would like to report the correction to RR, but I don't want to mess up people that use the actual LSN (vs LCN) on other software.

Ideally RR should have a place for both the Channel number and LCNs (I have not never found a field specifically for LCN numbers so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.