NXDN nexedge in the Nampa area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
Was scanning the 450mhz band randomly and heard what sounded like an NXDN control channel on 452.8500mhz. Put it into my BCD996P2 with the NXDN upgrade, and sure enough it comes up with an SID number. FCC lookup gave me WPNP253 which appears to be owned by White Cloud Communications. So far its dead silent, but i havent spent much time scanning it for anything. Anyone else come across this, or any other NXDN for that matter?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Is it showing as NX48 or NX96? What is the SID? The White Cloud licenses show DMR emissions, not NXDN emissions -- not that it matters. Radio shops like that often don't update their FCC licenses to reflect what they are actually using.

Looks like their is an existing LTR system for them, that they may be converting to NXDN :

In Namba, they have two trunked licenses and two conventional licenses at that location :

452.85 (WPNP253-trunked)
453.0125 (WPNR353-trunked)
464.5125 (WPNR353-trunked)
461.35 (WNYI391)
463.625 (WNYQ757)

If it were me, I'd create a new NXDN system in your Favorites, add all of those frequencies, turn ID SEARCH on, and then run LCN Finder on that newly created system in order to try and determine the channel IDs and active frequencies.

If there is a SID for the system and 452.85 is a 24/7 control channel, then it's a Type D system and most likely will have multiple frequencies in use. So if nothing else I'd program the three frequencies in from the trunked licenses as an NXDN trunked system and run LCN Finder.

Do keep in mind that systems like this often do not have a lot of trafffic on them, especially on weekends, and especially if they are in a rural area. Unless you know exactly which frequencies are in use on the system and program only those in, then running LCN Finder on all frequencies will probably cause LCN Finder to fail to complete because it'll never seen NXDN traffic on any inactive frequencies. And you often have to let LCN FInder run on that trunked site for a day or more just to try to find the LCNs.

If you have an RTL Dongle and DSDPlus, you might want to do some sleuthing that way.

I don't live in your area (I'm in Ohio). Just figured I'd respond to let you know that it might be a tedious process figuring out the LCNS aka Channel IDs without additional tools, if the system isn't very busy.

Good luck!

Mike

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
Is it showing as NX48 or NX96? What is the SID? The White Cloud licenses show DMR emissions, not NXDN emissions -- not that it matters. Radio shops like that often don't update their FCC licenses to reflect what they are actually using.

Looks like their is an existing LTR system for them, that they may be converting to NXDN :

In Namba, they have two trunked licenses and two conventional licenses at that location :

452.85 (WPNP253-trunked)
453.0125 (WPNR353-trunked)
464.5125 (WPNR353-trunked)
461.35 (WNYI391)
463.625 (WNYQ757)

If it were me, I'd create a new NXDN system in your Favorites, add all of those frequencies, turn ID SEARCH on, and then run LCN Finder on that newly created system in order to try and determine the channel IDs and active frequencies.

If there is a SID for the system and 452.85 is a 24/7 control channel, then it's a Type D system and most likely will have multiple frequencies in use. So if nothing else I'd program the three frequencies in from the trunked licenses as an NXDN trunked system and run LCN Finder.

Do keep in mind that systems like this often do not have a lot of trafffic on them, especially on weekends, and especially if they are in a rural area. Unless you know exactly which frequencies are in use on the system and program only those in, then running LCN Finder on all frequencies will probably cause LCN Finder to fail to complete because it'll never seen NXDN traffic on any inactive frequencies. And you often have to let LCN FInder run on that trunked site for a day or more just to try to find the LCNs.

If you have an RTL Dongle and DSDPlus, you might want to do some sleuthing that way.

I don't live in your area (I'm in Ohio). Just figured I'd respond to let you know that it might be a tedious process figuring out the LCNS aka Channel IDs without additional tools, if the system isn't very busy.

Good luck!

Mike
Wish i had something like that setup because I wonder if my programming isnt right and thats why im not getting any traffic on it. Although it only shows one frequency for the Nampa site, which is the CC

mountainrider

I set up two NXDN trunked systems on a TRX-1, one C Type and one D Type. I input the frequencies from the White Cloud Communications, Inc, (System Type: LTR Standard) Table Rock Butte 1 site and heard transmissions on both. Talk groups I heard on the C Type so far were 326, 327, and 336 and on the D Type 00-0336 and 01-0548.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Slightly off-topic: The last time I was able to do some scanning in Boise was late 2015. I came back in summer of 2017 but didn't get a chance to do any scanning. How much analog voice is still active? In 2015 I found a ton of new DMR -- metro buses etc. I probably found NXDN but don't recall off-hand. Anyone care to guess the ratio of analog/DMR/NXDN in the area..?

Status
Not open for further replies.