NXDN/NEXEDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFP387

A Kenwood dealer is working with several public safety agencies in the Rowan, Cabarrus, Davidson and surrounding areas implementing the NXDN radio network as a backup or secondary radio network to augment their 800 systems. The argument is that the radio system offers better reception in buildings and schools, the equipment is more user friendly, and, for those agencies who must purchase and maintain their own radios, it is a cheaper alternative.

In Rowan County, we have a handful of government agencies like municial public works departments already using the network. The problem is, there is no scanner yet available that can monitor the system. Does anyone else have NXDN in use in your area?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
UNC Greensboro is using a NXDN Trunked Radio System for all of their operations except for Law Enforcement. There are several other businesses in the area licensed for it, but UNCG is the only one I have confirmed.

TRBO on the other hand is everywhere.

trumpetman

Database Admin
You can passive scan a TRBO system but not a NEXEDGE system. There is a flag in the datastream that indicates the voice channel is part of a trunked system and will not unmute so you're out of luck with this system.

I wouldn't be too concerned as it seems all public safety in the region seem to be eyeing 800 P25 so unless you get your kicks listening to the dog catcher or building inspectors you should be fine.

trumpetman

Database Admin
They aren't trunked, they won't be a problem. At least the road channels won't be trunked. Not sure if the yards are going to implement anything.

N8IAA

Then what about railroads going over to nxdn ?

For a realllly long thread on NXDN for the railroads, check the railroad forum here on RR. Those railroads that are using NXDN are doing so in the yards. It makes sense to do it there. The need to talk to many doesn't work on simplex, or repeaters. Just not enough frequencies to go around.
When I lived in Cleve, OH, my house was near a large yard. People were constantly talking over each other.
Larry

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
well I for one am a little miffed at the fact that the Police Dept and Fire Dept in Kings Mountain NC went to the NXDN system spending well over $300.000 of the towns tax dollars, and all this was decided at a behind closed doors meeting.
KM is a relatively small town pop. @10,000, "so it's not like we are trying to listen in on swat teams so we can warn the perps" very aggravating for community watch, anyway not only can I not monitor whats going on in my town, but they seem to be having a great deal of difficulty communicating with other agencies, specifically cleveland county sheriffs dept, also Volunteer fire Depts.
looks like 1 step forward and 2 steps back to me, this is not progress, and a waste of money.
this may be more of a rant but that's how i feel.
I understand that there may be a work around by getting a radio with a discriminator tap on it, not real familiar with this but looking for someone to help me understand more.

rapidcharger

Does anyone else have NXDN in use in your area?
There is an agency I was listening to (city of Canton, GA) for a while on their VHF nxdn system using an Icom radio in conventional mode that only works in NVFM while the kenwoods work in both NFM and VNFM depending on how it's set up. At some point they switched over to NFM or some trunking system (I never did find out exactly) and they went dark on my radio. But while I had them, they sounded really good. The moral of the story is there's no guarantees that you can monitor them even with a NXDN radio. At the flip of the proverbial switch, they can turn on encryption or authentication.

I've heard of another agency in my state where the PD was on NXDN and the fire was on analog and the PD purposely did not want the FD showing up at their calls (I know, I know) and I guess some people were trying to show who was boss and got radios and then authentication was turned on and that was the end of that.

well I for one am a little miffed at the fact that the Police Dept and Fire Dept in Kings Mountain NC went to the NXDN system spending well over $300.000 of the towns tax dollars, and all this was decided at a behind closed doors meeting.
KM is a relatively small town pop. @10,000, "so it's not like we are trying to listen in on swat teams so we can warn the perps" very aggravating for community watch, anyway not only can I not monitor whats going on in my town, but they seem to be having a great deal of difficulty communicating with other agencies, specifically cleveland county sheriffs dept, also Volunteer fire Depts.
looks like 1 step forward and 2 steps back to me, this is not progress, and a waste of money.
this may be more of a rant but that's how i feel.
I understand that there may be a work around by getting a radio with a discriminator tap on it, not real familiar with this but looking for someone to help me understand more.

Scruggsy, I can certainly understand your frustration. There is no excuse for close door meetings where this kind of money is being spent....
But...
Your city got off easy. Real easy.
It could've been a lot worse, a lot more expensive and a lot more unmonitorable.
You could have ended up with an encrypted 7/800mhz P25 trunking system. Those seem to start at around $72 per capita and you're at $30. It's cheaper to buy an NXDN radio than a digital trunking scanner, not that either are guaranteed to give you access. And instead of giving the business to (I'm guessing) a local vendor, the business could've gone to an out of state vendor. At some point the radio systems have to be replaced and NXDN really is very cost effective. That doesn't excuse the closed door meetings and like any government contract, they might've paid way too much but the bright side is you've still got something you can probably listen to. Maybe.

Last edited:

CFP387

I can confirm that the Town of Landis here in Rowan County has almost totally built out their entire public safety fleet with NEXEDGE radios. Police, Fire, Public Works and Landis Power (a co-op power agency) have handheld radios and also mobiles installed in their vehicles. Police and Fire use NEXEDGE as a backup or secondary system, while Public Works and Landis Power use it as primary.

Even though we can't monitor them, I am working to get the frequencies for their system so we can update our database here.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
The town of Fort Valley, Georgia went with NXDN after coming from P25 simulcast. Their Police department, Fire/EMS also went NXDN I believe they are using Kenwood NX radios for use. I talk on NXDN Amateur Radio most of the time and they audio sounds a lot better all depends on the user on how close he talks close or away from the microphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.