NXDN No Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeekwave

I'm a little new to scanners so here I go. I just received my uniden bearcat 436 hp scanner. They preprogrammed for my county and I also purchased the NXDN upgrade because my city and sheriff's dispatch operate on NXDN. I don't get anything from the city of Enterprise Alabama or coffee county sheriff's. I'm several miles from both towers. Bearcat Warehouse said they've done all they could do. I believe this is a program or possibly software issue. I need help. I've had scanner for 6 days.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

K4EET

Chaplain
zeekwave, Welcome to Radio Reference!

For one thing, the Coffee County Sheriff is partially encrypted so no scanner will be able to decode that.

Frequency Input
License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
155.97000 158.86500 WQET641 RM1 RANCoffee SOSheriff Dispatch NXDNe Law Dispatch

That is signified by the lower case "e" in the "MODE" column.

Sorry about that...

zeekwave

This is the system? City of Enterprise Public Services System Trunking System, Enterprise, Alabama - Scanner Frequencies

Do you see any activity at all when its scanning? Did they make a favorites list or are you scanning from zip code? Do you have the service types for Law Dispatch, Public Works, Fire Dispatch and Ems Dispatch set to on?
No activity when scanning, no favorite list they did zip code. Not sure how to set dispatch to on. Ide think I should be able to hear something from my city public service system but nothing. I get highway patrol 30 miles away and get other county transmission but not where I live.

zeekwave, Welcome to Radio Reference!

For one thing, the Coffee County Sheriff is partially encrypted so no scanner will be able to decode that.

FrequencyInput
LicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
155.97000158.86500 WQET641RM1 RANCoffee SOSheriff DispatchNXDNeLaw Dispatch

That is signified by the lower case "e" in the "MODE" column.

Sorry about that...
Just learned something . Thanks . But still my city of Enterprise public service system looks open to listen and I get nothing.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
@zeekwave What are you trying to listen to? As K4EET pointed out, there is some encryption on conventional freq listed above. I do not see any enc indicated on the trunked nxdn system I linked above.

zeekwave

This is the system? City of Enterprise Public Services System Trunking System, Enterprise, Alabama - Scanner Frequencies

Do you see any activity at all when its scanning? Did they make a favorites list or are you scanning from zip code? Do you have the service types for Law Dispatch, Public Works, Fire Dispatch and Ems Dispatch set to on?
Yes that is the system you listed above,City of Enterprise Al public service.

@zeekwave What are you trying to listen to? As K4EET pointed out, there is some encryption on conventional freq listed above. I do not see any enc indicated on the trunked nxdn system I linked above.
Would like to listen to everything listed for city of enterprise Al public service system. Ide think I should be able to pick a police or Ems, rescue squad. I was out this past weekend with grandson checking out new radio, passed by rescue squad and fire trucks in tow, not one hit.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Have you downloaded Sentinel for your scanner? Since you're doing zip code scanning, it won't hurt to upload a favorite list to the scanner.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
This isn't an easy system to program being new to scanning. Many advanced scanner programmers haven't had to program a NXDN trunking system, and yes everything is in the clear if the information is correct.

On NXDN trunking systems, when the frequency is programmed a channel number (Listed as LCN) has to be correct. If it is, you have crossed the first hurdle.

As others mentioned, Service types have to be activated, Quick Keys have to be assigned and activated and i'm sure by now I lost you.

I'd suggest posting this question in your state forum. You might get lucky enough and someone close by could stop by and set it up.

zeekwave

This isn't an easy system to program being new to scanning. Many advanced scanner programmers haven't had to program a NXDN trunking system, and yes everything is in the clear if the information is correct.

On NXDN trunking systems, when the frequency is programmed a channel number (Listed as LCN) has to be correct. If it is, you have crossed the first hurdle.

As others mentioned, Service types have to be activated, Quick Keys have to be assigned and activated and i'm sure by now I lost you.

I'd suggest posting this question in your state forum. You might get lucky enough and someone close by could stop by and set it up.
Thanks, I didn't want to send radio back, this gives me some hope. I was under impression that bearcat took care of the mentioned above. Anyhow gonna get it done. For the beebe y'all have been very kind and informative!

zeekwave

Have you downloaded Sentinel for your scanner? Since you're doing zip code scanning, it won't hurt to upload a favorite list to the scanner.
So for my scanner I need to download load Sentinel. If zip code scanning only got me this far I might need to change my approach . Thanks for your insights

I'm lost. I just had Sentinel create a fav list with that system and it populated the lcn's .
Looks like tomorrow I'll download Sentinel

Going to post in my State.
That information is submitted by an individual. Sentinel doesn't populate the LCN's. If it's correct based on someone monitoring the system, then the first hurdle has been overcome.
That's really cool, did you enter my county and that Eprise popped up?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I'm lost. I just had Sentinel create a fav list with that system and it populated the lcn's .

Yes, but the information you download is from the Radio Reference database which relies on "accurate" user submissions. In NXDN trunking systems, the administrator of the system assigns each licensed frequency a "channel number". Without knowing the system, I don't know if the LCN's (Assigned channel numbers), would go in a repetitive order. I'd check with the local state forum, maybe someone can confirm those are correct and listens to the system.

This is an example of a site from a NXDN trunking system I regularly monitor:

Notice the LCN's (Assigned channel numbers) don't fall in a logical order. Someone who monitors it regularly can help.

zeekwave

Yes a little lost, but think I can find my way to succeccful outcome. Thanks for advice

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I listen to some nxdn and one site is logical order and one site is not. They both work fine in my 436 as well as DSDPlus with the numbers the way they are.

; 246 1 Suffolk Communications

NEXEDGE48, 246, 1, 150, 451.86250, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 246, 1, 192, 452.38750, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 246, 1, 686, 463.56250, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 246, 1, 797, 464.95000, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 246, 1, 813, 462.94500, 0.0, 0

; 246 2 Suffolk Communications

NEXEDGE48, 246, 2, 801, 451.01875, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 246, 2, 803, 451.20625, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 246, 2, 805, 461.53125, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 246, 2, 807, 461.66875, 0.0, 0

I am not debating lcn logical orders as I am not an expert.

I merely suggested the op let Sentinel populate a favorites list since the site details for the system he wants to listen to has the lcn's there. I understand what your saying about that they may be wrong, but it can't hurt as he cant receive the system right now via zip code method for whatever reason. Maybe it's the wrong lcn, maybe its something else. Hopefully it gets figured out and he can enjoy the scanner..

Be back, have to pry my son away from ipad and get him to bed...

RBMTS

Another consideration . . . the last frequency and talk group updates were performed in April and September of 2018. That is a long time ago. The system could have had changes that took place since that time.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I was just in Enterprise yesterday and heard just fine. All I did to program was program it as NXDN trunked then from the list of frequencies above plug them in the order listed followed by the LCN #s and also be sure to set the scanner for TGID search. It defaults to TGID scan. Btw, I heard nothing from the conventional Sheriff Dispatch frequency, encrypted or clear.

zeekwave

Another consideration . . . the last frequency and talk group updates were performed in April and September of 2018. That is a long time ago. The system could have had changes that took place since that time.
[/
I was just in Enterprise yesterday and heard just fine. All I did to program was program it as NXDN trunked then from the list of frequencies above plug them in the order listed followed by the LCN #s and also be sure to set the scanner for TGID search. It defaults to TGID scan. Btw, I heard nothing from the conventional Sheriff Dispatch frequency, encrypted or clear.

I wish I could have been able to talk to you personally. I'm new at all programming, this 436 is my first real scanner. I'll try and decifer your response. Good to know that I'll eventually be able to hear My city Enterprises NXDN . Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Yes to both of you, but I'd rule out a scanner issue as
I wish I could have been able to talk to you personally. I'm new at all programming, this 436 is my first real scanner. I'll try and decifer your response. Good to know that I'll eventually be able to hear My city Enterprises NXDN . Thanks

Based on that information, the Sentinel Database entries are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.