NXDN on SAR-IF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Anyone else in Alberta hearing clear NXDN on 149.08? Sounds like military SAR ops. I may have heard them reference the town of Acme (NE of Calgary) once. Coming in fairly strong on a vehicle mounted 536 in the Cochrane area.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Naturally, just after I closed my phone from making that post and began driving again, I came across a (civilian) SAR vehicle and some volunteers on foot, clearly on either an exercise or operation in Cochrane.

The question about the modulation still stands. Anyone ever heard of NXDN being used on SAR-IF? It was RAN1 just for the sake of interest.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Naturally, just after I closed my phone from making that post and began driving again, I came across a (civilian) SAR vehicle and some volunteers on foot, clearly on either an exercise or operation in Cochrane.

The question about the modulation still stands. Anyone ever heard of NXDN being used on SAR-IF? It was RAN1 just for the sake of interest.

Never heard anything on that frequency. I don’t think anything but 5k FM was allowed on that frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay911

Feed Provider
The ISED page states:

Radios equipped with a Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System (CTCSS) must be set to a CTCSS tone of 156.7 Hz when transmitting and receiving on the SAR-IF channel. The SAR-IF channel shall not be used in an encryption mode unless all authorized users during a particular operation are in possession of the required equipment to monitor the transmission.

Users are also reminded that the VHF simplex frequency 149.080 MHz is analog, and therefore transmissions are not secure.

Ignoring the half-truth in the last half of that last sentence, it would seem that it's meant to be simplex analog with tone. Then again ISED is routinely posting stuff that doesn't make sense or has been superseded or never approved at all (i.e. the "digital scanner license" nonsense)...

BC_Scan

While I have not in Vancouver , there are two rogues (truckers) that are using simplex input to a transportable repeater pair for SARIAN 149.74 w CTCSS as their simplex chit-chat while crossing Hwy 1 , annoying as hell to hear the belly aching.

Status
Not open for further replies.