NXDN scanning stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrh995

Premium Subscriber
Hi UPMan and all,

I upgraded the firmware on my BCD325p2 to get the NXDN upgrade option last night, 4/3/19. Upgraded to NXDN went fine. Upgraded ProScan to v14.8 to allow import of NXDN from RR Database. Imported a local NXDN48 system and started listening. All was working fine.

Radio stopped on calls and followed them correctly. Listened for a couple of hours then cleared all recordings and history loggings that had accumulated in ProScan.

It was after midnight local time by then so I left the radio scanning and recording to see what systems it would pick up for the rest of the night.

In the morning when I checked, the radio was still scanning but the history logging and recordings had stopped around 4:23AM. I listened for a while and nothing was being heard.

So here is what I have tried to correct the problem:

Rebooted the computer.
Disconnected the scanner from the computer to scan on its own.
Powered down and removed batteries.
Installed new batteries.
Deleted the NXDN system and imported it again 3 times. I don't have another system to import in my area that I can receive with my current antenna.
None of the above made any difference.

I checked that my other Conventional, DMR, P25 Phase 1 & 2 etc systems were functioning correctly. All okay.
I fired up my SDRPlay2 on SDR Console v3 along with DSD+, tuned in one of the site freqs and verified that the Site and tower were still on the air. All okay.

I found if I paused the scanner on one of the freqs, when that channel became active the scanner would decode the NXDN traffic but if I unpaused it the radio would not lock back up on the channel even when SDRPlay2/DSD+ was still decoding the traffic on the same channel.

Switched antennas at one point just in case. Signal strength is strong, I get good decoding on all antennas I tried.

I am pretty much at a loss at what to try next. If it had not worked at all I would guess it was a bad upgrade. Because it worked for about 6 hours then just stopped for no apparent reason while I was asleep I don't know what to think.

Any help would be appreciated at this point. Is there anyway I can remove the upgrade and reinstall it?

Thanks,
Johh

jrh995

Premium Subscriber
Okay here is an update on my problem.
Shut the radio down last night as it was not working as detailed above.
When I turned it on the next morning it was scanning and working correctly on the same NXDN site and has been working fine all day.

I am now in a different location scanning a different NXDN48 site and it is working okay. I will leave the radio scanning overnight and see what happens in the morning.

I have not researched how NXDN works so I have a question for anyone familiar with the system. Radio Reference database lists the site I had the problem with as having 6 frequencies, 2 of them are marked as control channels. If the site switches from one control channel to the other will my BCD325p2 know to change to that new control channel or is this a non issue because that is not the way NXDN scanning/decoding works?

The site I am scanning where I am located now has 5 freqs and only one is marked as a control channel.

Both systems are listed as Fleetcall/NXDN NEXEDGE 4800/NXDN Digital

The first one is located at Booths Corner/Delaware County/PA.
Second system is located at Millsboro/Sussex County/DE

Any thoughts?

Thanks
John

Status
Not open for further replies.