NXDN support for 436/536 - is it coming or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What is the fascination with Ohio? Did UPMan grow up there (or something like that)?

Ohio MARCS has several simulcast system sites that are famously difficult to decode with any currently available scanner. That the SDS100 can decode traffic on those sites is a demonstration that it is a huge leap forward in scanner receiver technology.

iggywfd

Ok, this may be off topic but what other SUPER SECRET radio software upgrades does the 436 need to have to receive tx that we cant get now ( NXDN ect. exct. xct......). I guess what would be your be all end all scanner?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
NXDN is the only non-proprietary digital mode that Uniden scanners can't receive due to no upgrade being available. So once that is available, the only stuff that can't be received is proprietary digital modes no scanner can receive, like OpenSky.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
So once that is available, the only stuff that can't be received is proprietary digital modes no scanner can receive, like OpenSky.

Which isn't much of an issue anyway cause VSLEP is basically extinct, OpenSky's issues have caused it to be dropped by all the major users, and TETRA is really only being used in North America by some transit agencies for bus operations. So not really missing out on much there.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I thought both of those fell under the proprietary category. If not then my mistake.

racingfan360

No worries......as said earlier they're nowhere near as mainstream as DMR or NXDN. Where TETRA is used a lot, it's often for EMS and TEA1 encrypted. To keep our French colleagues happy, we could probably also add TETRAPOL to that list. Bottom line is that NXDN is widely used in a number of fields worldwide, just not as prevalent as DMR.

My personal view is that IF Uniden add NXDN to the x36 line, then I think it'll be several months after it appears on the SDS100....just to make sure they maximize the sales of the SDS100's (and make a few extra $$$'s on $60 x36 upgrades at a later date).

wbswetnam

Technically speaking, I think you're missing at least TETRA and dPMR from that list, both of which are covered by the AOR DV1.

I think that the AOR DV1 only receives unencrypted TETRA simplex; TETRA mode networks cannot be monitored. The only major user of TETRA in North America is the Mexican Federal Police, which operate using full encryption. Even if it were unencrypted, you would have to be able to understand Spanish! In any case, Uniden appears unlikely to offer support for TETRA in any mode, for any receiver, including the SDS100.

SCPD

QRT
I think that the AOR DV1 only receives unencrypted TETRA simplex; TETRA mode networks cannot be monitored. The only major user of TETRA in North America is the Mexican Federal Police, which operate using full encryption. Even if it were unencrypted, you would have to be able to understand Spanish! In any case, Uniden appears unlikely to offer support for TETRA in any mode, for any receiver, including the SDS100.

Indeed so. The Policia Federal would never operate unencrypted due to safety and cartels so I wouldn't see uniden offering it in North America on any model. The cost would be a non profit for them.

The sds100 looks sharp. Eventually I will get one down road.

I believe if NXDN was offered they would wait until the flagship being released made its profit after time with the NXDN option upgrade. Then release the paid upgrade option but who knows. Could be released same time.

I do feel it's possible while the 436 could and csn decode NXDN I think maybe they hot stumps snd the hardware on the sds100 may be better. I would rather pay into that then pay for a upgrade with bugs and issues on a device with less capable hardware in tracking and decoding.

wbswetnam

Before I got my TRX-1, I monitored a local volunteer fire department using NXDN with a tapped scanner and a computer running DSD+. I remember how DSD+ decoded text aliases for the radio users, instead of simply a user number. I asked Whistler twice if they have plans to make this possible with the TRX-1, and I have never received an answer. I think that means "no". So, if the SDS100 will be NXDN capable, will it support text alias decoding? How about the (hoped for) NXDN upgrade for the 436/536/996/325P2?

garys

Premium Subscriber
That would be nice, but maybe not necessary. At least with DMR, most of the figuring out of TGs came from people using DSD+. It's even easier with NXDN, so when setting up programming for scanners I expect that there will be a lot of information available.

That's for the systems that actually have the Alias programmed in. NXDN radios seem to work quite happily without them.

Even though there isn't a ton of interesting radio traffic on NXDN locally (yet), I'd buy the upgrade if it were to be available. I'm finding new DMR and NXDN users almost weekly. I expect most business radio will move to one of those digital formats over the couple of years.

Before I got my TRX-1, I monitored a local volunteer fire department using NXDN with a tapped scanner and a computer running DSD+. I remember how DSD+ decoded text aliases for the radio users, instead of simply a user number. I asked Whistler twice if they have plans to make this possible with the TRX-1, and I have never received an answer. I think that means "no". So, if the SDS100 will be NXDN capable, will it support text alias decoding? How about the (hoped for) NXDN upgrade for the 436/536/996/325P2?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Sitting here with my TRX-2 and this system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5883 is squawking away. Very large and busy system and while the TRX-2 can decode it, just can't trunk it. Many businesses are utilizing this Tri-State system. NXDN Type-D trunking system capabilities and 3.125 khz spacing channels will be necessary to follow conversations. Early next week, all of our speculations will be answered and as usual, surprises in store? Another video introduction coming, mobile version of the SDS line? Hopeful that UPMan has enough strength to muster yet another video or two for us.

racingfan360

I think that the AOR DV1 only receives unencrypted TETRA simplex
That's correct: DMO only, so unlike some other digital formats, you can't even monitor the uplink side of a TMO 'Repeater' based network either. I also agree that I think it highly implausible that Uniden would ever add TETRA decoding to any product: too niche a market for too much investment. Gezz, they haven't even got NXDN available just yet, let alone others like dPMR or DStar, and they all use the same AMBE+2 codec as DMR.

pinballwiz86 said:
The AOR DV1 is not a scanner. Apples to oranges
Frankly, if you're going to get that pedantic then at least have the decency to read what I wrote: at no stage did I say it was scanner.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Pretty funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z85N07NzARo

Either:

1. This video is the ONLY way you'll hear NXDN on a x36 scanner.

OR

2. This video is a hint that NXDN is in the pipeline for the x36 scanners.

I am hoping for number 2. ;)

Here's my question, is it software he's using for this video? If so I like it, to get a 436 to show up on a computer like that. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.