NXDN UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
How about them fixing what they have out first. Let's not push them like some pushed undone as I want a scanner that can fully work before anything new is pushed out in a hurry to please unwilling to wait folks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Dafe1er

The instability of the P25 systems and also not having the dmr fully functional. Hence why so many of us have had to roll back from 3.3 to 3.2 or later. You know this as your on the boards as much as me brother.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The lack of DMR features (compared to what Uniden offers) is the only reason I haven't bought a TRX to go alongside by 1088. And by features I'm referring to displaying the SYSID, Site #s etc of Connect Plus/Tier III systems. It's the little things like that that gets the money out of my wallet.

That being said, I certainly hope the NXDN upgrade is on track and is successful.

wbswetnam

My prediction is that the NXDN update will be issued on December 25th, so it can be (literally) Wendy's Christmas gift to us. I think Wendy realizes that if the upgrade is not issued by December 31st, then she (and the engineers) will be sent to stand in a corner with a dunce cap on her head.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The lack of DMR features (compared to what Uniden offers) is the only reason I haven't bought a TRX to go alongside by 1088. And by features I'm referring to displaying the SYSID, Site #s etc of Connect Plus/Tier III systems. It's the little things like that that gets the money out of my wallet.

I agree completely that I want to see more DMR functionality, but here's what I wonder: The way the TRX-1/2 currently handles DMR systems seems generic, with nothing really specific to MotoTRBO. I'm thinking that this might be allowing Whistler to provide DMR functionality without paying royalities to Motorola. I would love to have the additional capabilities, and would be willing to pay reasonably for an upgrade, but this may be the price of having an Uniden level of DMR functionality.

I have to wonder what (if any) intellectual property issues will come with NXDN, since it seems to be the main option of the urge to narrow-narrowband. Will there be a price difference between just decoding the audio and recognizing the RAN, or will there be additional expense for the trunking systems?

Wendy, feel free to chime in.

Anyone who was on this website 8 or 9 years ago knows that GRE was swamped with complaints and nitpicking about a radio that I think was one of the most versatile and nimble ever produced. I think that we would do well to give Whistler some positive feedback for taking the platform of the PSR800 and making it function more like a 'real' scanner again. There are lots of improvements I'd love to see, but I'm also haunted by the impression that GRE--at the height of its creative independence--essentially canned a minor program with a small niche market because it was more trouble to them than it was worth.

This is one reason that I took a chance on the TRX-1. But I'm glad I did it! If I see some of those improvements come, I'll be buying a TRX-2 for the van whenever I can afford it.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Mine works great on a Tier 3 system a 3 county cap+ system a 1 channel Trunk system solid on the TACN system working side by side with my TRX-1 and BCD436HP and My TRX-2 and My BCD536HP Running beside my 2 BCD996P2's and My 2 BCT15X's and My 1 BCT15 and not to leave out my BC785D and OLD PRO197 and PRO106 and PRO668 and PRO18. I do not see your problems as all mine work and hear what they we designed to hear.

Dafe1er

Well, as sad as it is to say, my 436 is working far better than my TRX-2. Which when first new out the box blew away the 436. Remember,, just because you are working fine does not mean others are doing just that. Not everyone will have the same results across the country. I've tweaked the trx-2 out and back and get varying results with it on P25 systems. No matter the settings, location or antenna combo. DMR works fairly well and conventional is working well. Even a moto system come in better than a P25 system.

SCPD

QRT
Well, as sad as it is to say, my 436 is working far better than my TRX-2. Which when first new out the box blew away the 436. Remember,, just because you are working fine does not mean others are doing just that. Not everyone will have the same results across the country. I've tweaked the trx-2 out and back and get varying results with it on P25 systems. No matter the settings, location or antenna combo. DMR works fairly well and conventional is working well. Even a moto system come in better than a P25 system.

We'd really love to see a video of the 436hp and the trx2 side by side on the problematic system with earphone jack (right side audio) in the 436 and (left side audio) in the trx2 of your soundcard.

Dafe1er

We'd really love to see a video of the 436hp and the trx2 side by side on the problematic system with earphone jack (right side audio) in the 436 and (left side audio) in the trx2 of your soundcard.
I won't be able to hook it through the PC as I don't use them that way. When I have a few minutes today I'll set them next to each other and record how they both do on the P25 system many of us have issues with out here.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber

Interesting . . . I've had the same experience when it comes to my TRX-1's ability to handle a local P25 simulcast system.

When the TRX-1 was new, it decoded that system pretty well, but I think subsequent firmware updates (aimed mostly at DMR improvements?) degraded its P25 simulcast performance, although it still does a very good job on non-simulcast (conventional and trunked) P25 signals.

On the other hand, my love/hate relationship with the 436 turned back to love with Uniden's most recent firmware update (1.11.20, if I remember correctly). It's now leading my pack of scanners when it comes to simulcast performance. However, it's still nearly deaf on VHF-hi signals . . . sigh.

-Johnnie

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
My prediction is that the NXDN update will be issued on December 25th, so it can be (literally) Wendy's Christmas gift to us. I think Wendy realizes that if the upgrade is not issued by December 31st, then she (and the engineers) will be sent to stand in a corner with a dunce cap on her head.

Nobody puts Wendy in a corner! :) Just kidding!
I met with the engineers yesterday and we are still on track for a release before the end of the year. Patience young grasshoppers :)

mclove

Premium Subscriber
ndxn update

I love both my trx-1 trx 2 in canada its really good we love u whistler wendy your the best and merry x-mas to u and all engineers for working hard to get this scanner updates at lest you guyz care about what where all saying one love respect ........................................blesss

Status
Not open for further replies.