BCD436HP/BCD536HP: NXDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanhopkins

the county next to me is NXDN so I got this scanner people was telling me NXDN was coming soon still no update. Does anyone know when NXDN will be supported

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
No the only stated NXDN release that has been posted is the Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 before the 1st of the year. With speculation that Uniden will follow about the same time but no official word from Uniden.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Uniden, who probably won't let Whistler get away with being the only scanner manufacturer to offer NXDN, historically doesn't "pre-announce" things. About the only hint you get that an announcement might be coming is if Upman changes his Avatar.

Having said that, this may be the time where scanners may be purchased as presents. If someone is sitting on the fence between Whistler or Uniden, they may choose Whistler because they have announced NXDN is coming. So I guess Uniden is probably between a rock and hard place on whether they reveal any plans earlier than usual.

prc117f

So buying a Uniden for DMR/NXDN will add 150 dollars to the price. (NXDN license will be another 75)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
(NXDN license will be another 75)

Where did you see the pricing for NXDN? Do you have a link to a Uniden source for that announcement..... or are you just guessing?

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
He's guessing I am sure (notice he added DMR so between the two of them dependent on price, that may not be too far off on the regular price for both if NXDN does materialize).

Like posted above, Whistler is more of one to tease their info ahead of time and Wendy just recently posted to "look for an announcement soon" regarding NXDN.

racingfan360

I'm hoping that if NXDN does appear (pleeeeeeease) then uniden dont forget to add 3.125khz steps too. Im increasingly finding users taking advantage of the 6.25khz bandwidth and 3.125khz steps to maximise channel use on their license.

prc117f

Where did you see the pricing for NXDN? Do you have a link to a Uniden source for that announcement..... or are you just guessing?

Did you notice every mode requires payment?

Provoice. 75 bucks
DMR 75 bucks.
..... 75 bucks.

I might be wrong. it might be 100 dollars. from Scannermaster its 75 bucks for DMR when you order the scanner but 100 dollars if you own the scanner and now want to add the update later.

So NXDN could be 100 bucks if Uniden offers it later and you already own the scanner.
The trend is obvious. Every mode you want will require payment.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Did you notice every mode requires payment?

That's correct. The pay per upgrade method was made clear many times. Uniden must pay licensing and royalty fees for each upgrade sold.

I might be wrong. it might be 100 dollars. from Scannermaster its 75 bucks for DMR when you order the scanner but 100 dollars if you own the scanner and now want to add the update later.

So NXDN could be 100 bucks if Uniden offers it later and you already own the scanner.

Scannermaster always charges more than Uniden does for the upgrade. You don't need to get the upgrades from them. Purchase your upgrade keys directly from my.uniden.com.

Your post sounded as though you had solid info on the NXDN upgrade fee, but I guess you don't.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you think Uniden should give you every mode possible for free? You must have not got the memo from your parents that nothing in this life is free... somebody pays for it, somebody is getting stuck with that bill...

No, Whistler is not giving you free DMR and NXDN etc... the price is calculated and rolled into the price of the scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
And we are happy with it. If you are not do not buy it. I own both Whistler and Uniden and they both serve the purpose I bought them for. Like I said if you do not like the way Uniden does then do not buy a Uniden.

wbswetnam

Back in April, when Uniden announced DMR as an 'add-on' mode to the 436HP & 536HP, they first offered it as a $50 early-bird special. Perhaps they will do the same with NXDN, we'll see. If so, I guarantee my credit card will fly out of my wallet to jump on that deal.

MStep

Quick Observation

Here in the New York City area, I have found very little to monitor on NXDN on my AOR DV1 (albeit 6.25 mode only). I understand that some railroads may be going to NXDN---- is anyone else in the NYC area aware of any NXDN activity (either 6.25 or 12.5 modes) ???

I believe that Uniden could make it available, but only if there is enough activity nationwide to warrant incorporating it.

OceanNora

NXDN seems to be making inroads in with public safety in some areas of the south (Kentucky comes to mind). Unfortunately most of the police that made the switch seem to have gone encrypted, but at least for now the same cannot be said for fire and other services. If Uniden offered ProVoice which isn't growing (unlike NXDN), it's a safe bet to think that NXDN is on their radar.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Uniden must pay licensing and royalty fees plus their cost of research and development. They are a business you can't expect them to eat these costs.

Whistler's claims of NXDN are still claims as no update has yet to be released.

I have no need for NXDN and couldn't care less about rail monitoring so I wouldn't buy the upgrade. Why pay the extra price for the TRX if I don't need that feature. Uniden gives me an option.

milcom_chaser

Uniden must pay licensing and royalty fees plus their cost of research and development. They are a business you can't expect them to eat these costs.

Whistler's claims of NXDN are still claims as no update has yet to be released.

I have no need for NXDN and couldn't care less about rail monitoring so I wouldn't buy the upgrade. Why pay the extra price for the TRX if I don't need that feature. Uniden gives me an option.

NXDN isn't just for railroad communications...

allend

Premium Subscriber
I just sent back a top of the line Whistler because the software is crap.

Yes its pretty crappy. You have to pull out the micro sd card and insert it into your computer to program the card. The cable attached from the computer to the radio is horrible. you will end up corrupting your card.

Not sure why this is still an issue, but you do get the DMR and the NXDN for free almost.

The TRX-2 on Amazon right now is 492.00 shipped. Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.