NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
Thinking hard about purchasing a 536HP, but what is the likelihood that there will be a NXDN firmware update? I'd hate to buy this one with a new uniden product on the horizon that would decode this and I'd have to buy later. I realize the 536hp has been out a while. Also considering a TRX-2 Whistler, but I have a long line of Uniden scanners in my history. Apologies if this has been asked, but I didn't see anything recent.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden doesn't announce such things until the feature is at least ready for beta testing. I suspect NXDN is in the works, but Uniden is currently working on some bugs in the DMR release, and that probably has the focus of their firmware people for now.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
"It's corporate policy not to announce...." blah blah.

Some people are so complacent and believe that as a reasonable answer.

The excuse of "Corporate policy" is basically saying "shut up and quit asking"

wbswetnam

I've given up on Uniden offering an NXDN upgrade for the 536HP. I think that if this were indeed in the cards, they'd have made it available by now. Pure speculation on my part, but my gut feeling is that they are working on the successor of the 536HP which will include DMR along with P25 phase 1 & 2, with NXDN as an "upgrade". This way customers will dump their 536HPs on eBay or other sales venues in order to buy the newest Uniden "everything" scanner.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Oh boy. Another "Wah,wah, wah, Uniden will never offer NXDN" thread.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
"It's corporate policy not to announce...." blah blah.

Some people are so complacent and believe that as a reasonable answer.

The excuse of "Corporate policy" is basically saying "shut up and quit asking"

It is a reasonable answer. Remember when Uniden released the 536 with features that hadn't been implemented yet (re Siren app and WiFi functionality)? Do you really expect them to announce stuff before they've even begun Beta testing.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Well, if you don't agree with their Corporate policies, you of course are free to NOT purchase their products.

Uniden could announce some new features, and then we all would endure the hundreds of "Uniden's xxxxxx feature is Vaporware! UNIDEN SUX0RS!" posts.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
It is a reasonable answer. Remember when Uniden released the 536 with features that hadn't been implemented yet (re Siren app and WiFi functionality)? Do you really expect them to announce stuff before they've even begun Beta testing.

-Yes. Absolutely.

"We plan to have NXDN available with the current model in the future, to be announced" is a very reasonable statement, as opposed to "It is our Corporate policy that we don't speak of upcoming releases" (IE; "shut up and quit asking")

And how do you know beta testing has or hasn't begun?

Regardless, I hear NXDN just fine with my Whistler, wish I could on my 996P2's. If a Uniden rep would simply state that they intend to incorporate NXDN in a certain model or not, I would be more inclined to purchase that model, until then, I will buy Whistlers (and enjoy the free future modes and features)

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
-Yes. Absolutely.

"We plan to have NXDN available with the current model in the future, to be announced" is a very reasonable statement, as opposed to "It is our Corporate policy that we don't speak of upcoming releases" (IE; "shut up and quit asking")

If Uniden were to make an announcement like that, there would still be "whaling and gnashing of teeth" along the lines of "why isn't it out yet," or "how much longer to we have to wait for a feature I paid for," and so on.

Uniden is under no obligation to release a NXDN update for the x36HP line, therefore we have no real reason to expect one. If this pushes you and others to go to a competitor, so be it. That's how business works.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
That's not how normal business works. When your direct competition has the heads up on you, at least make some sort of mention that you intend to keep up. Otherwise you are going to push potential buyers away.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that is how business works. You don't promise features that you can't deliver. Uniden made that mistake already when they introduced the x36 line.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
You don't promise features that you can't deliver.

Then the OP should take note, assumably, according to you, Uniden can't deliver NXDN, so that should limit his choice, right?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Has Uniden released an NXDN update? No.

Has Uniden indicated that they will release an NXDN update in the future? No.

Has Uniden indicated that NXDN will only be available in the next generation of scanners? No.

Has Uniden indicated that they will never implement NXDN capability? No.

It only stands to reason that at the present time, Uniden can't deliver NXDN capability. Now the reasons why it can't (or won't) can (and have been) debated until we are all blue in the face. They hopefully learned their lesson from the x36HP introduction.

dallascowboys

I understand what everyone here is saying, yes everyone wants and need NXDN, yes Uniden will not say if it is in the works or not, but if something is not done than Uniden may lose customers, and if they do say something everyone will be asking when NXDN will be fully up and running. So as you can see there is pro's and con's to this, I say give it a least a year if no NXDN than you can decide were you want to go from there.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
Good discussion here. I understand the business reasons for secrecy of course, but I just thought I'd read something in the past (like 2 years ago) that it was in the works. That's why I was wondering what happened. But I do agree they're going to start losing customers over it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden's firmware engineers are busy debugging DMR right now. I wouldn't expect any progress on NXDN until DMR is working right.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I understand the business reasons for secrecy of course, but I just thought I'd read something in the past (like 2 years ago) that it was in the works.
You probably did, but it's all speculation. Personally, I'd be shocked if Uniden didn't have plans for NXDN.

The issue with NXDN and Uniden isn't so much about secrecy, it's about managing expectations.

SOFA_KING

This is precisely what corporate America wants you to do. Buy, buy, buy!

If corporate America wants us to buy, buy, buy, they better bring back our jobs, jobs, jobs...and soon! Otherwise it's bye, bye, bye for sales, sales, sales...and the economy as a whole.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.