NY Comptroller wins settlement against M/A COMM

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
question

Lets see: The article says there is no connection between the overcharging and the deployment of the NYS Open Sky system??? Shouldn't there be? Although Ma/Com denies any wrong doing this seems to be the two sides "winking" at each other. IF I as a consumer was being overcharged for something and not getting what I paid for I wouldn't be doing business with that business

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Actually, there isnt. The settlement has to do with other previous contracts (NYSP, NYSDOT, NYSDOC, etc.) and work the state feels wasn't done up to snuff with the prescribed contracts. Preventive maintenance checks was one of the big issues.

SCPD

QRT
I don't know how bids work in NY. In NJ, the winning bidder has to put up a "performance bond" which can be anywhere from 5%-20% of the total contract.

This way if the bidder doesn't perform under the terms of the contract, the vendor has to pony up. The government agency can even fine a vendor for not keeping to schedule.

Sounds like they should have went with Motorola. I have read about M/A-Com screwing up in PA too.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused. Why does everyone think that Mother M is the answer for this project? If they had won the bid for this contract, SWN would have been based on an iDEN network technology, similar to Nextel. You wouldn't be able to monitor that with a scanner, either.

Remember, the original plan for this system was to be TETRA but it was not available (according to NYSOFT - it's what they wanted). Ask anyone in Europe if TETRA can be monitored by a scanner - nope.

The bid specs for SWN just won't allow for an analog or even a P25 system.

D

DaveNF2G

And that's because the State Police wanted a completely "private" radio system for themselves. Interoperability was not a major concern - secrecy of communications was the overriding factor.

There are two issues with SWN. One is important - that M/A-Com has failed to produce an OpenSky system that works over a wide area. The other is only important to hobbyists - that SWN will be unmonitorable. Unfortunately, SWN was designed to be unmonitorable from the beginning. As Kevin pointed out, it wouldn't matter what vendor was chosen in that respect.

Spec

I agree with Dave to the extent the SP wanted a new "private" system built , and some might argue that it is needed. The new system will provide them with the data links that they need for the newly upgraded DMV / NYSPIN systems. Take a look at all your vehicle and DLIC related paperwork an you will see what I am referring to. As far as a secure net goes IT SHOULD BE. Whoever puts the system up I really could care less. What does concern me is the way it was sold to the state. The failure of Ma/Com to complete an Open Sky system that really does work and the proprietary equipment that must be purchased by all the users does concern me. I see the state trying to sell this system space to defray the cost of a system that will be controlled totally by them. The Open Sky system has no proven track record other than a poor one at very best. I also find fault and question the awarding of the contract. Most of those concerns are non radio related and I will not expand on them. The concept of a secure radio network is long overdue. Finding fault only with regard to it not being able to monitored is of very little concern to me.

I have been following this a little bit and I have noticed a few major things that stink about the whole plan, 1st is the areas of 800 Mhz opperation the amount of towers that are required. New York is not flat. 2nd The likelyhood that most units on the system would have to have 2 radios in each car 1 800 Mhz radio for urban and 1 Vhf radio for rural areas, and not to leave out mobile repeaters(I guess the tax payers don't mind). I would guess that this whole system was geared for New York city and Long Island and not the rest of the state. I do monitor NYSPD and Niagara and Monroe counties from my QTH here in central Ontario. Here we are just finishing up the new province wide fleetnet Vhf digital system. that has all our provincial police =(state police) MTO= (D.O.T.) M.O.H.=(ambulance - paramedics - hospitals) MNR= (state parks), Corrections=(prisons),a few local police forces and fire departments, and soon Ontario hydro, With lots of room for more services to be added. The system works quite well with only ciminal investigations being encrypted because others don't have to be and it saves the tax payers lots of money. And the greatest part that it is a leased system from Bell using Motorola gear and Motorola dealers to service it. If there is still time I would write or call Albany to look into all options.

gcr33

Newsnick175, what does your statement have to do with an encrypted radio system?

125 Give it up. 800 mhz works everywhere.

D

DaveNF2G

Of course flatlanders think 800 MHz works fine. And many Americans seem to think that the rest of the world looks just like their neighborhood. Those of us whose states have actual variations in the terrain know better.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
125 Give it up. 800 mhz works everywhere.

That's a VERY ignorant statement, and most certainly NOT true. Yeah, "800 mhz works everywhere" if you erect enough sites to handle the terrain and other impediments to the signal. In some rural, mountainous, heavily foliaged areas of NYS, you'd have to erect a tower every other mile to gain any level of reliable coverage, particularly if you're talking about someone trying to talk to dispatch from inside a building. Highly impractical and would cost a fortune...something rural NY would never be able to afford.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
TO bad when a study was done for here in st.lawrence county 800mhz will not work here we would need an antenna on every telephone pole...And thats what the study found so we will never have 800mzh good for a big city not here in rural northern ny

800mhz will not work every where give it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.