NY Ham repeaters down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Due to the wide spread loss of power throughout NYC because of the remnants of Isaias, as well as a lot of the area including CT, I would expect it to be true. I had saw earlier today Manhattan and part of Brooklyn had power restored today. Also if the NYC area repeaters in question are not on a back up generator, or if they are and run out of fuel, or battery back up without a recharging source, then of course they will be down.

We have several repeaters in CT that are currently down and should be back up once the power has been restored.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't say much for ham's being communicators during emergency situations. I guess they can only talk when the power's on. (n)
That's why we tend to either use a mobile repeater system or go simplex during emergencies.

ff026

Feed Provider
Even the NYPD is on back up power on some sites. Zone 14 (47&49) was on back up power Thursday during the day. You could hear the beep during transmissions.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Doesn't say much for ham's being communicators during emergency situations. I guess they can only talk when the power's on. (n)

This is why a lot of counties don't rely on the hams any longer. Most public safety system have large battery plants and generators in there shelter. Most ham stuff i come across in my LMR work rarely has a battery or UPS on it. They don't understand that spending a bit more on infrastructure would allow them more abilities. I get the reasons they dont do it, funding is 99% the issue but if you want a reliable system for disaster support you need to think about this stuff....YMMV

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I didn't know there was a power problem. I assumed the repeaters had backup.
Once they've paid for the tower, radios, etc., there's no money left for backup power. Most are privately funded. Many areas have multiple repeaters but they're often very near each other at the highest point in the area. When that's the case, if the power is out on one, it's probably out on all.

N2YQT

Ambulance Driver
Premium Subscriber
Any ham organization that plans on providing you a backup solution using their repeaters hasn't really thought things through. That's what NVIS HF is for. Around here our repeaters are co-located and/or owned by the served agencies. The Baofeng Brigade isn't going to be much use when the sites go down.

wtp

and what if they were set up WITHOUT power backup...??
when i see a very specific list i wonder why i don't see a full list of who is up. and and who is down.
so i would assume that 4 stations of the many were down and that was all.

Status
Not open for further replies.