NY Harbor and vicinity VHF Marine activity question.

665_NJ

Premium Subscriber
I figure I ask this question here. Interested in monitoring VHF Marine Channels again. However with the advent of smart phones and devices, boater radio traffic has diminished considerably. Gone too are the public correspondence aka marine operators again thanks to the “almighty” smart “cell” phone.

My question is how active are the VHF marine channels for the New York Harbor and vicinity including Port Newark and Stapleton anchorage in Staten Island Etc.
(I know CH 16 and 22A (1022) are active at times with Marine Information broadcasts)

Are any of the port operations or commercial channels somewhat active or busy. If so which ones?

Thanks

archduke

Premium Subscriber
Channel 13 (limited to 3 watts so you won't hear much unless you are fairly close by) is busy with bridge to bridge comms setting up vessel passing arrangements. Channel 11, 12, & 14 are used by VTS (Vessel Traffic Sve) which can be thought of as a maritime version of Air Traffic Control. Any of the VHF channels set aside for commercial use only can be interesting. 5,6,7,8.10,18,19,77,79. You may hear NYPD boats on 17 and SI ferry on 19.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Channel 13 is limited to 1 watt, and not 3.

I am aure many users on this channel are using more like the full 25 watts.

It used for large craft like tugs and ships to make passing agreements. Also used for drawbridge tenders to be contacted to open them