NY Penn Station Interop Frequency Among All Agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Ok, so I am getting the feeling that there is currently no interop frequency in which Amtrak, MTA PD, and NYPD have at Penn, with the possible exception of that Amtrak interop frequency Jaymatt provided.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Penn Station has never had Inter-Op for law enforcement. Years ago when I still covered NYC as a news photographer I shot a meeting at City Hall about this probably 1995-1996. There had been a number of incidents at the time, including an Amtrak cop being thrown down an escalator on 7th Ave. That chase started with the Transit Police (now NYPD Transit), ran through the LIRR PD (now MTA PD) , across NJ Transit police, and up into the NYPD Pct area, with the Amtrak PD having picked up the foot chase somewhere near the escalators. No one could talk to each other, so cops were just shouting at each other.

The end result of that was not a damn thing changed. Here we are 20 or so years later and the only thing that has changed is Transit PD is now the Transit Bureau , LIRR PD is now MTA PD and Transit switched from VHF to UHF.

Darkstar350

Looks like there isnt a interop freq "written in stone" - the thing to do is either use close call and/or program a bunch of the nation wide and state wide public safety interop frequencies into the radio
Its a lot of channels to program but since they arent typically active on a routine basis it shouldnt be a problem
Only thing that may happen is the scan rate will slow down just a bit..

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I'll be in Manhattan Monday and I'll stealthily hit penn station and GCT. I gotta be careful not to have my TRX taken from me by the cops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Analogrules

Ok. Best bet is to keep volume turned off, record mode and close call turned on, while scanning potential frequencies.

Also, I think 155.475 is in every police radio nationwide.That's what I heard, but not sure if it is still the case after this digital fiasco started.

sefrischling

I think 155.475 is in every police radio nationwide.That's what I heard, but not sure if it is still the case after this digital fiasco started.

This is incorrect, especially considering the number of departments that are on the UHF, 700/800 and low-band (yes, they still exist) bands. But from personal knowledge of the radio plans for a few departments on VHF, that frequency is not in their 1 or 3 zone radios.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Ok...so much for 155.475 being the Nationwide Interop frequency anymore.

http://hflink.com/standards/National_Interoperability_Field_Operations_Guide_May_2015.pdf

Correct, and it's not supposed to be.

It's just VLAW31, and is not a NIFOG nationwide blanket channel. Agencies must be owners or participants in an FCC license for that frequency to use it... it is not covered by the blanket NIFOG authorization.

The NIFOG steers people to use the appropriate NIFOG band-set for their local prevailing frequency band. If you as a PS user have a 700/800 only radio, it should have the NIFOG 7TACs and 8TACs in it. If you have an all-PS-band radio, it should have LLAW/LFIRE, VTAC, UTAC, 7TAC, and 8TAC. The appropriate band to use is determined by the local needs and capabilities. For NYC, UTAC would prevail by breadth of use, with patches from other systems or NIFOG nets as needed.

This isn't related to anything to do with digital waveforms... only the 7TACs are to be used with P25, the rest analog FM. It's to do with available nationwide frequency allocation that can be standardized.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
Ok...so much for 155.475 being the Nationwide Interop frequency anymore.

Hasn't been for many years, maybe back in the 70's when agencies were getting free VHF radios from LEAA. I havn't seen it in any radio since the 80's, and during the 90's it actually was used as a data channel for early MDT's in my area for NYSP.

Link doesn't work
http://hflink.com/standards/National...e_May_2015.pdf

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Quote"
Penn station is mostly VHF stuff. Put in FDNY VHF citywide with no PL and the old fireground 153.830 no PL. They are both used inside for incidents.

Does FDNY have VHF portables sitting at a location at Penn? This is the case at GCT, there is a box located off Vandebuilt Ave with a dozen or so XTS-3000 vhf radios. Output is 153.83 C.S.

MTAPD has in their APX radios in the Penn Station bank : MTAcitywide, V-Law 1, V-Law31. There are also others that I cannot list. The main common channels seem to be V-Law1 and V-Law 31 in every bank.

As far as GCT secret channels, they are not RR channels, and you would have to be in the terminal proper as there is no coverage outside the building. That's accomplished by radiating cable and very low power.

Up until 2 years ago I worked in PENN, and GCT. At that time everyone LIRR, AMTRAK, NJT and NYCT all used, and most likely still use VHF for most services.

The police all did too back then, and the MTA PD, NJT PD and Amtrak PD did have each others main frequencies in our portable radios and could and did communicate regularly. The MTA PD did get APX radios for all patrol staff, for the move to the Metro 25 system. I would hope that was finished in both locations, but probably not. The MTA PD is OK with spending but can never get it finished.

The 161.205 was in the MTA PD radios and even displayed as RRPD I/O or APD C2C. I used it with a handful of Amtrak cops but the majority didn't know or care to. Back then we even had the NYPD and PAPD in UHF portables in all of our marked patrol units, but rarely used.

I tried to call some of the cops at Penn and nobody could provide any updated information. I will have to check and listen next time I'm in Manhattan.

Has anyone heard anything besides District 9 (MTA PD Staten Island) using the Metro 25?

radioman2001

Based on the code plug I have a lot of NYC comms are now on the Metro 25 including GCT. GCT also has a VHF repeater on 161.22 for areas like track side where the 800 doesn't cover. MTA CityWide (800) is in almost all zones in the APX, I don't have other info on any other terminals or stations. Most of Conn is on CT SP 800, and outside NYC proper including West of Hudson the VHF channel is still used with MDT's doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
What about the State Troopers & Guard or Reserves operating in there? Around the holidays you will also find DHS Police by the main entrance. I can't imagine how all these agencies would communicate if needed, since they are on different bands. I can only imagine (hope) there is a plan. It may be patches, or just dual band radios and NIFOG.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I wasn't able to get out there last week as I just underwent ankle surgery, but I am going soon. I work on 38th and 3rd Ave. so I'll keep my TRX on me.

I am not sure why they just don't build a linked TRS from Penn to GCT to 125th, etc and link them all?
All users can be on the system and have an I/O channel.

I understand the ridiculous amount of politics involved, but in a perfect world....

radioman2001

As far as National Guard at GCT when I was in back in the 90's New York State had 6 406 mhz frequencies. Antenna's on the MRK radios for the units stationed in GCT could have been UHF or 800. Interop for them at GCT is a portable on the desk down in the substation on the lower level. Troopers have MTA frequencies in their either APX or Harris portables, and a lot of point to point takes place on the V-Tac and V-Law channels. MTA PD has a number of frequencies encrypted with ADP for now going to DES or AES next round of ordering.
All of this information is from personal experience being down there but YMMV.

If I was running the detail, and just like color of the day I would have a frequency of the day, give it out at role call and change it daily. That's how we did it for us back then.

Quote"
I am not sure why they just don't build a linked TRS from Penn to GCT to 125th, etc and link them all?
All users can be on the system and have an I/O channel.

Because eventually everyone is going on the Metro 25, that's the plan and why NYSP gave up their 800 frequencies and equipment to the MTA. MTA has the money to build it out, NYSP and New York State didn't.

sefrischling

MTA PD has a number of frequencies encrypted with ADP for now going to DES or AES next round of ordering.
All of this information is from personal experience being down there but YMMV.

The MTA has no encrypted channels on either conventional or Metro 25.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
How is the METRO 25 buildout progressing? I haven't seen any 700 MHz sites on the air nor any changes to the existing 800 MHz regarding adjacent sites

Analogrules

I cannot see how the METRO 25 buildout can continue much further, considering it is digital and many operations take place several feet underground, where Analog is KING (only thing that works well).

Thanks for all the responses everyone and I would assume that for now, 161.205, would probably be the only interop frequency in most radios (as MTA COP mentioned), even if most officers tend to ignore the channel's existence. haha

Regarding National Guard, I read on this forum under a previous thread that they tend to use many different radios (different type of radio every day), therefore most likely jump around on various frequencies in the fed band, most likely encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.