Ny Volmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAR923

Has the NY VOLMET changed frequencies? I hear Gander on the usual frequencies (13271, 10050, 6604, and 3485) at 10 to and 20 past the hour loud and clear here in Alabama but never hear New York. I know band conditions aren't too good but it seems like I should be hearing New York also. Thanks in advance.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope they're the same as they've been for over a decade - but Spaceweather reports we're in a solar wind stream with mildly disturbed geomagnetic conditions, so that may have something to do with it.

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To follow up - conditions aren't all that great. I can barely hear Santa Maria on the NAT-E 6628 freq, no CHU on 3330, 3291 V of Guyana is weaker than usual, at 0015 had NY Volmet on 3485 and slightly better 6604, other NAT freqs are pretty quiet. Strangely, Mauritania 4845 (on late due to Ramadan) is holding forth with a huge signal, and there were some weak carriers on 4950 (maybe Angola) and 4965 (maybe Zambia Christian Voice).

Maybe some possibilities for Africans later....73s Mike

jimlawrence

I have noticed that there are times when NY Radio VOLMET just doesn't come on the air. Sometimes it's for a few hours, sometimes it's for a few days, sometimes it's a few weeks. I've stopped using NY Radio VOLMET as a "candle" to determine signal propogation, relying now on Gander Radio. Gander hardly ever misses being on at their assigned times; H+20 and H+50.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nope, aside from the fact that NY is a sometimes proposition the bands have "gone long" for the winter. Seasonal change affects propagation particularly on the lower frequencies so the closer in transmitters' signals are skipping over top of you.

BTW, what the heck is "H+20"? The letter S is farther to the left so chances of fat fingers being the culprit are minimal and it's S9+20 or 20dB over S9 whichever you prefer.

SAR923

Jim, I agree. Threre's some problem with the NY VOLMET. I have been listening consistently over the past few weeks on all four frequencies at different times of the day and have not heard New York once. I hear Gander loud and clear and can even get Shannon and Honolulu but no New York so this simply can't just be band conditions.

Warren, H+20 and H+50 refers to the times that Gander is on the air, e.g., 20 minutes past and 50 minutes past the hour. I don't think this is a matter of the bands going "long" and the signal skipping over me. New York Center is very loud and clear. I would think that I could also hear the NY VOLMET if it's really on the air.

Last edited:

BMT

Ny Volmet

A1497/06 Notamn
A) Kjfk
B) 0607051415
C) Ufn
E) Qsvas New York International Volmet Freq 13270 Khz U/s
A1963/06 Notamn
A) Kjfk B) Wie C) Ufn
E) New York International Volmet Freq 6604 U/s
A2018/06 Notamn
A) Kjfk B) Wie C) Ufn
E) New York International Volmet Freqs 3485/10051 Khz U/s

SAR923

BMT,

Thanks for the information but I have no idea what it means. Can you please translate?

BMT

Ny Volmet

U/S UNSERVICABLE(sp)

Anyway they ain't broadcasting!!!

BMT

K2GOG

A few years ago I remember reading a story about NY VOLMET and that it was a neglected system. It went off the air and only returned when some of the older pilots and hobbyists complained.

It has been dodgy ever since. As others mentioned, I use Gander as a reliable source now aside from WWV and CHU

SAR923

Thanks for the explanation, BMT. I wonder why New York has become such a neglected system? It was a great source of information, not only for pilots, but for sailors in the Caribbean. They were often the only source of current weather when I was sailing in the Bahamas.

grant

Have they switch to automation yet.?
My memories of New York Volmet on 10Mhz about 20 yrs ago was that it was a very staid and formal with a heavy NY accent and the chaps use to have to "race" through the broadcast to get through the forecast weather and often didn't have time for the actual weather.

The local VOLMET here (Originally SYDNEY VOLMET - later moved to Brisbane and now called AUSTRALIA VOLMET 3kw) went computer-voice about 15 years ago.
The same voice does Sydney Airport ATIS (and even says Ho-Ho-Ho on Xmas Day!).
I have heard the same computer voice doing the Hawaiian High Seas Shipping Weather somewhere on the HF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.