NYC 911 Now Fully Integrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That piece refers to the Universal Call Taker (UCT) program, not the FDNY Fire Alarm Dispatchers. Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island are all located at Metrotech. The Bronx and Queens are located at officers in their respective boroughs. All are staffed 24/7.

one11sgt

Thats funny. Why am I still seeing calls on SPRINT everyday? No state of the art dispatching for the cops in the street. I promise that. Unless a 1960's airline ticketing system is state of the art.

FrankRaffa

The spin doctors are working overtime on this story. The only thing that has changed is the location of the PD operators. They moved from the 1st floor to the 3rd, where we have been for over a year. There's no advantage for this move. The only thing it did was create a longer line for the only bathroom (per gender) on the floor.

one11sgt

There are NYPD dispatchers of all races my friend. Thats just a dumb thing to ask. The FDNY does not employ anywhere near as many as NYPD, so they can be picky. The salary is so poor that I am surprised they have anyone taking that job. Its extremely stressful and those people work very hard. Are some not the brightest in the world....of course...just like with any other job. But the vast majority are very good, hard working people. Here are the requirements and salary. Would you take the job?

Police Communications Technician

Police Communications Technicians are assigned to the Department's Communications Division as 911 emergency operators. They serve as a radio dispatcher of police resources and perform all other clerical and administrative duties related to the provision of emergency service. Police Communications Technicians are required to work shifts, including evenings or night tours and/or Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. There is per-shift pay as well as night shift pay differential.

Qualifications:

Four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent. One year full time paid experience performing clerical duties; or public contact work requiring obtaining information; or 30 college credits or two years active military duty with honorable discharge.
Salary: $32,710 and can increase to $44,379.
New York City residency is required within 90 days of appointment.
Entry into higher level positions, other than through promotional exams, depends on the applicant's prior training, education and experience and the job requirements for the position.

Due to the current civil service list in this title we are not accepting resumes at this time.

sc800

That dispatch center is nice, especially compared to most other NYPD facilities, ie, my auxiliary unit's office)

FrankRaffa

Sure it looks swell but it's a sweatshop for the people inside. No quiet space, no place to unwind, no lunch room, no break room, no creature comforts at all. The constant din creates a high stress environment that's inescapable. The fluorescent lights on the ceiling are so bright you need sun screen. The HVAC blows directly onto some terminals so it's not uncommon to see dispatchers working in hoodies.

To show you how great they think it is, they've shown it off to visitors from India and Qatar.

Looks great though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.