NYC antennas...coming out of the sidewalk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of Halloween... while walking on Grennich st in the west Village close to st Vincents I saw these Antennas coming out of the side walk.(grate). anyone know what they are used for? i'm guessing for some kind of communication...

I wish i had better pictures...

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 759
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 741
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 784

K9WG

I worked on a project a few years back that monitored storm sewer flow, gas, level, etc. These monitoring stations were linked via data-radio units. Could be something like that.

FrankRaffa

If they were coming from a grate, it may be part of the NYC Transit system.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
If there was a subway station nearby, I would venture a guess that they are BDA's for PD, EMS and Fire. When I worked EMS in Queens, (1979-1989) the NYPD radio shop built there own BDA's out of some RX preamps. There was a yagi on one side of the street aimed at Elechester Towers with coax running down towards the platform at Main St and Roosevelt, and a 5db omni on the other side of the street doing the same. Down on the main concourse of the station there were 2 mag mount antenna's mounted on the ceiling on 1900 boxes with a cavity attached with the preamps inside. I suspect that each run was tuned to the transmit and receive channels for the 109 pct. Our EMS radios wouldn't work, but the PD's worked great.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all of the replies... I'm trying to remember but i do think they are coming from a grate of some kind... i would think that they do go underground into the subway system... I forget what train is close by. I think there is one across the street.. not 100% on that either.. just going by memory.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.