• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NYC CW on GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAF27

Hi,

I have found that last night and this morning, A TON of morse code has been used on FRS and GMRS. Has anyone else in the NYC area heard this?

JAF27

Also, it is for certain NOT a repeater IDing itself. These are super long messages.

JAF27

It was numerous on numerous frequencies, but I decoded it and found out it was someone trying to make morse code contact.

CaptDan

It was numerous on numerous frequencies, but I decoded it and found out it was someone trying to make morse code contact.

Were you able to understand the message ?

I only ask, and not looking for a political debate here, but only ask because I recently had the opportunity to read a security briefing that mentioned some of the "peaceful protests" that have been going on around the country have been coordinated via 2 way radios, many using CCR and operating on whatever frequencies they feel like, including GMRS frequencies.

The document mentioned that the "peaceful protesters" were rather smart in their operations, in some locations it is believed they "hijacked" businesses legitimate repeaters and used them to coordinate the "peaceful protests".

In addition, it is believed while generally the people just talked in coded messages in others areas in some areas messages were being shared by morse code. Finally, I've been told at one site, an individual was arrested with a CCR walkie talkie that was capable of basic encryption.

So I guess my point to all of us is, if ya hear something that doesn't sound right, pay attention and say something.

ergbert

CW isn't illegal on GMRS, though it's incredibly rude to blast it over someone's voice conversation. Probably someone plugged a radio up to fldigi and is mucking about...

JAF27

CW isn't illegal on GMRS, though it's incredibly rude to blast it over someone's voice conversation. Probably someone plugged a radio up to fldigi and is mucking about...
Sometimes they can be rude, but this duo was not. They went on the least used frequency in my area and asked if it was in use. Then they proceeded.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I've looked at this thread several times, and everytime I go by it I read it wrong. In my primarily fire-buff, public safety based radio world, I read it as NYC Citywide on GMRS and I wonder if it's police, fire or EMS citywide and click on the link to see, only to realize after I click that it;s the same article....well played OP

JAF27

I've looked at this thread several times, and everytime I go by it I read it wrong. In my primarily fire-buff, public safety based radio world, I read it as NYC Citywide on GMRS and I wonder if it's police, fire or EMS citywide and click on the link to see, only to realize after I click that it;s the same article....well played OP
No clue what you mean, but okay! In the NYC area you may encounter police/fire/EMS on GMRS frequencies, as the Jersey City departments use GMRS repeaters.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
No clue what you mean, but okay! In the NYC area you may encounter police/fire/EMS on GMRS frequencies, as the Jersey City departments use GMRS repeaters.
No, they do not. 460.600 and 460.550 are NOT GMRS frequencies.....also, they are about to go to full time encryption on their trunked system.

CW is the NYPD/FDNY/FDNY*EMS abbreviation for the Citywide frequencies

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Alright, well I have heard them on there, but maybe you are correct.
I can’t say for certain, but I’m not sure how licensing would work for public safety on GMRS.

CaptDan

I can't speak to your specific situation, however while still living in NJ, near PA, there was one large City that when it switched from a conventional UHF radio system to a 800 mhz trunking system it reprogramed one of it's repeater systems to operate on a GMRS frequency.

I have no official knowledge if the City Administration sanctioned this or not, I was led to believe they had no idea, the City's Communication's Bureau just left one of the old repeater systems in place. A member of the Communications Bureau secured an FCC GMRS License, they basically did everything legit. The original intention was not to be used for on duty communications and the majority of the communications are personal, however I would occasionally, especially at night, hear what sounded like on duty, work related, communications. Not often and I'm sure not officially authorized, but it happened.

Many of the Police Officers and Firefighters were able to get great deals on used equipment that Motorola was taking "in trade"from the City.

Point being, you may have heard what sounds like official communications, but maybe it was something similar to what happened near me. I could always tell the difference between the families and the off duty Police & Fire people by the way they conducted themselves on the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.