NYC film and production crews using FRS/GMRS frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

So today there was a film shoot down the street from me and I saw the guys on the set with what looked like Motorola CP radios. So I pulled out my trusted old pro-163 scanner and ran close-call and I got 2 hits on FRS channel 6 and FRS channel 14.

Now knowing that the majority of film crews don't manage their own fleet of radios and usually rent radios from a event radio renting company. Who is liable if the FCC put the hammer down for unlicensed use? The Production company or the radio renting company?

Also when I freelanced on film production sites in NYC & North Jersey from time to time we used a very reliable company who had licenses on the 466/469mhz spectrum.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It would be the rental company.
And unlikely you'd get the FCC to do anything, even if they were not mostly shut down.

But yeah, some shops take the easy way out. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It's not just film companies, many construction sites and especially traffic control (Flaggers) for construction sites are using FRS radios, or default frequencies in Chinese radios.

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
If the frequencies in use were FRS (which do not require a FCC license), they can't put the hammer on unlicensed use, if it doesn't require a license in the first place. FRS can be used "for personal or for business use if you are not a representative of a foreign government." Now... are they using the correct power output? That could be a different story.

There is a lot of unlicensed operations in our country today. Of those FRS/GMRS combo radios sold at major retailers, I'd bet more than 75% of the people buying them don't get the GMRS license that is required. The percentage is probably even higher.

There is also a lot of unlicensed operations in the 467.850 - 467.925 range as well. Especially at malls/retailers.

Also, if you come across an expired license on the FCC database, that doesn't mean much either. I have seen many that are expired, that are still using the frequencies to this day.

Last edited:

Danny37

If the frequencies in use were FRS (which do not require a FCC license), they can't put the hammer on unlicensed use, if it doesn't require a license in the first place. FRS can be used "for personal or for business use if you are not a representative of a foreign government." Now... are they using the correct power output? That could be a different story.

I though FRS needed to be part 95 certified radios with no detactable antennas.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
FRS is just kind of a free-for-all. While some flagmen here use VHF lo band HTs, most just get on FRS. Same for a lot of work sites and other businesses, although MURS is more popular in those departments.

At a fairly large balloon festival, FRS was in heave use by parking attendants while the primary event staff were using licensed UHF rental frequencies.

Danny37

Sorry, I thought your question was in regards to unlicensed use.

I doubt the FCC would do much of anything about any of it anyways. Seems petty, compared to other issues out there.

I wouldn't report them but I thought it was something I found odd. Almost every time I heard film crew here, they had legit frequencies. I guess one company (maybe there's more) went off the rails and decided to be lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.