NYC Metro Area needs included counties updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The NYC Metro Area is officially defined as the following 30 counties in NY, NJ, CT and PA. The 10 counties in red are missing from the NYC Metro Area in the database, if someone could please add them. Also, Warren County NJ is not part of the area and should be removed. Thanks.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NY
Bronx County (MISSING)
Dutchess County (MISSING)
Kings County (MISSING)

Nassau County
New York County
Orange County (MISSING)
Putnam County
Queens County (MISSING)
Richmond County
Rockland County
Suffolk County
Ulster County (MISSING)
Westchester County

NJ
Bergen County
Essex County
Hudson County
Hunterdon County
Mercer County (MISSING)
Middlesex County
Monmouth County
Morris County
Ocean County (MISSING)
Passaic County
Somerset County
Sussex County
Union County

CT
Fairfield County
Litchfield County (MISSING)
New Haven County

PA
Pike County (MISSING)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Anyone?

The reason it's important to at the very least include Bronx, Kings and Queens Counties is because there are FCC licenses assigned to just those counties that will not show up in the NYC Metro Area reports. Just because the RR database has most of the NYC stuff under New York County for simplicity's sake, that has no bearing on the FCC database queries.

Likewise, live feeds assigned to just those counties are not showing up on the NYC Metro Area live feeds page as they should, because the counties are omitted. Check the Queens live feeds page, then compare to the NYC Metro Area live feeds page, and you'll immediately notice that FDNY Queens Fire Dispatch and NYPD Transit Div 3 - Queens - Brooklyn East are both missing from the Metro page.

Queens County, New York (NY) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners

Metro Area: New York City - Live Audio Feeds

As far as the rest of the missing counties, I'm sure some don't consider counties like Ulster or Orange or Pike part of the NYC Metro Area, but by official definition, they are. It's better to follow that rather than subjectively picking and choosing what counties should be included.
icon14.gif

n2nov

And thus is the dichotomy of NYC - the only city made up of 5 counties. Nowhere else in the world do we go against the norm of a city within a county. So, how do we fix this illogical mess? The NYC agencies are run as one system across all of the counties. Most businesses might have an FCC license address in one of the counties, but do business across all five. This is up to the RR owner to decide.

D

DaveNF2G

I think the most logical solution would be to delete the "metro area" reference. The five counties should be "New York City." The other counties should stand on their own, as they do for most residents and scanner listeners.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, whatever the powers that be decide, the bottom line is that something needs to be done because the status quo is simply not correct. There are FCC licenses and live feeds being omitted because of the exclusion of three of the boroughs. In fact it makes no sense at all that Staten Island was included, but the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens were left off? :confused:

I think Dave's idea has some merit, although perhaps instead of deleting the entire Metro Area group, there could instead be two groups: New York City and NY Metro Area. The New York City grouping would included just the 5 boroughs, while the NY Metro Area would include the 30 counties that are officially part of the area.

Keep in mind that many listeners like to search a metro area for a radio transmission they heard on a particular frequency. Because of the closeness of all the counties in the NY Metro Area, it's very easy to hear a transmission from 3 or 4 counties away. Deleting the entire NY Metro Area group and leaving just NYC proper would take away the ability to do an easy search of the region, which I don't think is what we want to do.

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
It's a mess. Start with the core problem first.

I see under New York State Counties NYC buroughs show up as counties Kings,Queens, and Brooklyn. New York also listed as a County? but appears to be the city!. That logic is incorrect. They (Kings,Queens, and Brooklyn) are not technically counties at all. New York is a state , New Yok City the City, No county named New York. There are 5 buroughs of NYC. Staten Island and Manhattan missing on your list of counties if you intended to list buroughs as individual counties. . When I click on New York (a city not a county) Richmond county shows up as a site under the system. Richmond is not a burough of New York City.
All five Buroughs are part of NYC they are Kings Brooklyn,Queens,Manhattan and Staten Island. . NYC should include all 5 buroughs only and city wide.

Simply put
If you wish to list Buroughs as Counties then Staten Island and Manhattan are missing.
If not remove the Buroughs as counties and put all five under New York City
You should list New York as New York City in any case.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's a mess. Start with the core problem first.

I see under New York State Counties NYC buroughs show up as counties Kings,Queens, and Brooklyn. New York also listed as a County? but appears to be the city!. That logic is incorrect. They (Kings,Queens, and Brooklyn) are not technically counties at all. New York is a state , New Yok City the City, No county named New York. There are 5 buroughs of NYC. Staten Island and Manhattan missing on your list of counties if you intended to list buroughs as individual counties. . When I click on New York (a city not a county) Richmond county shows up as a site under the system. Richmond is not a burough of New York City.
All five Buroughs are part of NYC they are Kings Brooklyn,Queens,Manhattan and Staten Island. . NYC should include all 5 buroughs only and city wide.

Simply put
If you wish to list Buroughs as Counties then Staten Island and Manhattan are missing.
If not remove the Buroughs as counties and put all five under New York City
You should list New York as New York City in any case.

This post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I think you need a geography lesson. I can totally understand people outside NY getting confused by this, but you're actually from NY and don't understand it? :confused:

The five boroughs directly correspond to NY counties. It's very simple, really. :wink:

Bronx Borough = Bronx County
Brooklyn Borough = Kings County
Manhattan Borough = New York County
Queens Borough = Queens County
Staten Island Borough = Richmond County

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Bronx Borough = Bronx County
Brooklyn Borough = Kings County
Manhattan Borough = New York County
Queens Borough = Queens County
Staten Island Borough = Richmond County
Technicalities aside, I agree with Kenneth's sentiments. Start with the core problems first - these five boroughs/counties should be included as part of any search pertaining to NYC proper.

The area's geography is a confusing mess. Take West New York, for example. Nah, let's not go there! :)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Technicalities aside, I agree with Kenneth's sentiments. Start with the core problems first - these five boroughs/counties should be included as part of any search pertaining to NYC proper.

Which I already addressed in my second post. The fact that the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn aren't included is a glaring omission. My guess is that because they lumped all the NYC stuff in the RR database under Manhattan, they figured the other boroughs weren't important. Except of course that the RR database and FCC database are two separate animals, and without all five counties listed, your search results would be incomplete.

It's amusing that Staten Island was included, seeing as how it's usually the forgotten borough. :twisted:

I'd be all for two entities being created, as I already suggested based on Dave's post:

- NYC proper (only the 5 boroughs)
- NY Metro Area (all 30 counties)

ericcarlson

Database Admin
The New York City metro area county list has been updated. I've also asked Lindsay to add state names and alpha sort the list.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.